channyb Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 5:34pm
post #1 of

Hello all!  I need a tried & true moist yellow cake recipe. I have been using the 1234 cake recipe the flavor is always good but sometimes the cake comes out dry. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

20 replies
cupcakemaker Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 6:54pm
post #2 of

AAs a Brit I would love to know what a yellow cake is!

channyb Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 7:00pm
post #3 of

Do you call it maybe "butter cake".

cupcakemaker Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 7:48pm
post #4 of

ANope. We have Victoria sponge or Madeira generally.

cakealicious7 Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 7:59pm
post #5 of

AIs it like vanilla sponge??

cupcakemaker Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 10:31pm
post #6 of

ANo idea :)

cakealicious7 Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 10:40pm
post #7 of

AOh well, i guess we'll never know...

jennicake Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 10:47pm
post #8 of

Pretty sure yellow cake is a vanilla cake made with just egg yolks, no whites.  This recipe is fantastic, follow the directions for yolks only: http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/white-cake-part-3-with-recipe/

cupcakemaker Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 11:22pm
post #9 of

AWhy would you make a cake with only egg yolks?

smittyditty Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 5:17am

I just made the cake doctor version because I hate yellow cake..now I hate yellow cake more!

SO bland and bad after taste. I'm starting to become a scratch snob. I hate cake to begin with but when it tastes so chemical tasting then I just uck even more.

Sorry ramble I know.

Its just vanilla cake that is yellow because yes it uses the whole egg.

smittyditty Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 5:41am

Marking just spent about an hour reading reviews of your recipe Jennicakes..will try that tomorrow!

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 5:47am

A yellow cake has a bigger crumb, a bit richer and a bit denser than a white cake. The egg yolks give it a slight custardy/eggy taste, and a silkier mouth feel.

 

That is speaking of scratch cakes, I can't really see a cake mix doing a good job at the subtle differences in richness and crumb.

jennicake Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 5:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittyditty 
 

Marking just spent about an hour reading reviews of your recipe Jennicakes..will try that tomorrow!

 

Oh not my recipe, just one that I love :).  That recipe is by FromScratchSF from CC

smittyditty Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 8:01pm

Ya it was late I realized that the next morning...lol..Thank you though and thank you ScratchSF!

mfeagan Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 11:07am

Try Buddy Valastro's Vanilla Cake recipe. I use it all the time. Fool proof and comes out great every time!

cakealicious7 Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 11:48am

A

Original message sent by mfeagan

Try Buddy Valastro's Vanilla Cake recipe. I use it all the time. Fool proof and comes out great every time!

I tried this the other day, first time making it and I wasn't THAT pleased. The recipe calls for cups so I converted it to grams, it was really spongy and dense- is that how it's supposed to be? I'm used to light and airy so I'm not sure how it should have come out. Thanks

yortma Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 1:21pm

I use Toba Garrett's moist yellow cake from her book the Well Decorated Cake.  The recipe is also available on Epicurious and the link is below.  I use full fat Bulgarian Style buttermilk and soft as silk cake flour .  It is light, not dry and very tasty.  For me it has been flexible and reliable - I have halved it and doubled it with no problem.  I tried many before settling on this.  I hope it works for you.

 

 

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Moist-Yellow-Cake-109358

mfeagan Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 9:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakealicious7 


I tried this the other day, first time making it and I wasn't THAT pleased. The recipe calls for cups so I converted it to grams, it was really spongy and dense- is that how it's supposed to be? I'm used to light and airy so I'm not sure how it should have come out. Thanks

 

It is spongy, but very light and moist. It might be the cups to grams conversion. Sorry it didn't work for you! I make it so much I know the recipe by heart! 

:-(

cakealicious7 Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 9:55pm

AThank you. Maybe I'll have to try to make it with the cups and see how that goes

channyb Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 1:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfeagan 
 

Try Buddy Valastro's Vanilla Cake recipe. I use it all the time. Fool proof and comes out great every time!

 

Thank You will try this one!

channyb Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 1:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yortma 
 

I use Toba Garrett's moist yellow cake from her book the Well Decorated Cake.  The recipe is also available on Epicurious and the link is below.  I use full fat Bulgarian Style buttermilk and soft as silk cake flour .  It is light, not dry and very tasty.  For me it has been flexible and reliable - I have halved it and doubled it with no problem.  I tried many before settling on this.  I hope it works for you.

 

 

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Moist-Yellow-Cake-109358

Thanks gonna try this one too and see which one I like best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%