Draw Up Plans? How To? Who Does This??

Decorating By melodym38 Updated 5 Oct 2013 , 2:49am by kikiandkyle

melodym38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodym38 Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, First I dont even come close to having the creativity or imagination of some bakers on here.  I was wanting to do a staked figure cake with the Call of duty theme, Playstation 3 and a ice bucket with Monster drinks in it with some whimsical theme like spilling drink or something...

Question is does anyone draw up plans for people?  Is there some service you can pay for to have a baker to draw up the plans?? How do you find these people?  I am getting tired of surfing internet and "stealing" designs.... hope you understand what I am trying to ask.

Thanks in advance

7 replies
rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 8

Are you asking about coming up with a sketch? Yes, I provide sketches. It's difficult for people to envision what their cake will look like, especially when it's a custom design. If they don't come in with a picture and say "I want this", I find it helpful to them, and me when I begin to decorate, to have a game plan sketch.

Unfortunately, I can't help with the second part of your question. I use Photoshop or Illustrator to create the sketches - I just happen to do marketing for a full-time job so I'm familiar with the programs. Are you able to draw at all?  It doesn't have to be a work of art, just an idea! Get a sketch pad at the craft store and just start sketching! I'm guessing you could find some graphic artists to help with this part, but you may pay a pretty penny for a professional. You could try contacting a local college that has a graphic arts or computer arts program and see if any of the students would be willing to help you for a nominal fee. Or maybe even count it as an internship? You could put an ad on Craisglist for a graphic designer, but just be careful of spammers and weirdos 8O

melodym38 Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for your reply, and yes I can sketch but I just have no creative "juices" to come up with something different.  I come on here and look at others cakes for ideas but I can never just come up with something that's my very own.  I am always "taking" from others.  I guess I could try to ask someone on Craigs list to see if someone does what I need.

Thanks!!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 8

AI think that would quickly become cost prohibitive - people on here share sketches all the time that they think are poor but they get the point across and that's all that matters. Your clients aren't coming to you for works of art they can frame on the wall, so long as you can do it on the cake that's all that matters.

Edited because we posted at the same time - are you looking for someone to come up with designs or someone to draw the designs you have in your head? There's a point at which you really can't get too much more original with some designs.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 8

Having a non decorator design a cake is usually a bad idea, they have no idea how much time different details take, or how to balance a cake, etc. So I wouldn't suggest craigslist.

I really don't think you will find a decorator who will design a one of a kind cake and sell you the sketches, at least not for a price that would make it feasible for you.

I have times when creativity does not exist in my little world, lol. There was a thread on here not too long ago about where people find inspiration. I would try searching CC for threads like that, they are really helpful.

I keep pinterest boards for motivation, everything from fabrics to landscapes that I like.

I would suggest finding a few pictures you love, of anything except cakes, and just start sketching them into a cake, until you come up with something you like.

I do that all the time, and it really does help me. (Even if 99% of the sketches look like crud, lol)

Also, instead of taking an entire design, try just taking small components and piecing them together.

Some people are just amazingly creative and have a solid vision for what they want, for some of us, it's a real process.

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

Having a non decorator design a cake is usually a bad idea, they have no idea how much time different details take, or how to balance a cake, etc. So I wouldn't suggest craigslist.

Now that I understand her question, I take the Craigslist comment back. I thought she had the ideas and didn't know how to provide the sketches.

melodym38 Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 12:11am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I just dont ever want to step on anyones toes and be accused of "Stealing" a design, some people are really sensitive about that.  I have seen a ton of pictures I want to copy exactly as they are because they are so good!! I guess I will just continue to find "inspiration" in others design and try to give credit where credit is due! Thanks 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 2:49am
post #8 of 8

AI just saw this and thought it might be useful for you

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/10/cake-inspiration-sketch-to-cake/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%