Long Distance Transport

Decorating By 7189de Updated 9 Oct 2013 , 6:51pm by 7189de

7189de Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7189de Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 14

May 2014 wedding cake to be baked in Myrtle Beach SC traveling Approx 500 miles about 8 hours away.

Thinking I should crumb coat and freeze then cover in fondant after arriving the day before. Another ideas?

Any suggestions will be most appreciated

13 replies
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 14

Go ahead and finish your tiers. Put each one in its own box, then double-wrap in plastic wrap and then wrap in foil.  Freeze.  Travel with the boxes in ice chests sitting on dry ice.  The day before you need them - or when you arrive - put the boxes in the fridge to defrost slowly.  The day of, set them on the counter and let them come to room temperature before you even unwrap them.  This way, any condensation will be on the wrapping and not the cake.  Unwrap and stack and finish up.

My dh and I drove from Texas to California with 2 cakes, one fondant and one bc.  After being frozen for a week and driving for 23 hours, I didn't expect much, but I followed the instructions exactly (originally from BlakesCakes, by the way) and they both turned out perfect.  ;-D

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 14

Last month I traveled 6 hours with a 4 tier wedding cake and groom's cake.   I had everything filled, crumbed & iced and then froze, and individually boxed each tier.    I put the boxed cakes in my gigantic coolers with dry ice.    After arriving and putting in frig overnight at location, the big layers were still frozen the next morning!    Next time I travel for a long distance, I will not bother with dry ice and just travel with frozen cakes in the cooler.

I decorated onsite.  My wedding cakes were all butter cream and groom's cake was fondant.   I would definitely fondant/decorate onsite.

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 14

what type of wedding cake?  Complicated details, flowers, etc

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 12:43pm
post #5 of 14

Or you can follow BlakesCakes instructions - -

Finish and decorate your cake and put each tier in a separate box. Double wrap with plastic wrap and then wrap in foil.  Freeze.  Travel with the boxes in coolers sitting ON TOP of dry ice.  When you arrive, or the day before you need them, put the boxes in the fridge.  The day of, set them on the counter and don't unwrap until they are room temperature.  This way, any condensation will be on the wrapping and not the cake.

I drove 1400 miles over 23 hours with a fondant wedding cake and a bc graduation cake.  After being frozen for a week and the "fun" trip, I wasn't expecting much but they both turned out perfectly.

ddaigle Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 14

The guy at the UPS store where I got my dry ice said that dry ice should be stored on top of boxes..because the cool air will travel "down".  I overbought on the dry ice and I had it on top of the boxes and all around the sides.   Maybe that's why my cakes were still frozen. 

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 14

The instructions on the dry ice I bought said to place it "On top to keep cool, on bottom to keep frozen." Maybe I got it backwards. . . . ? :???:

ddaigle Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 1:31pm
post #8 of 14

That's good to know jfgifford...I did not read the instructions...just listened to the UPS guy....maybe I should've read!  Thanks for that info!

7189de Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 12:06pm
post #9 of 14

Thank you all for the information. I will be doing a small test run in Nov. The only other time's I've had to transport a distance was when my nieces got married in PA and I lived in Utah. And I had plenty of time then to ice on arrival.

ddaigle Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 12:25pm
post #10 of 14

I forget how long dry ice lasts...there is some formula..how many pounds lasts per hour.   I bought $90 worth of dry ice!  Had way too much.   The next day most of my dry ice had not evaporated that was in the cooler.   The dry ice I had in another plastic container..that did not seal was almost completely evaporated in 6 hours..it was one of those stackable plastic things.   With your long trip, you may want to find dry ice locations to buy more.  Start with UPS stores.

7189de Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 12:36pm
post #11 of 14

I have no idea about dry ice. Haven't seen any in South Carolina. I'll check with UPS. Out west all the stores have it extremely hot.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 12:38pm
post #12 of 14

AI love in charleston. Publix sells dry ice

ddaigle Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 1:13pm
post #13 of 14

Ohhhhh.... how I miss Publix!!  We don't have them here.

7189de Posted 9 Oct 2013 , 6:51pm
post #14 of 14

Found out there are a few ice companies in Myrtle Beach area that sells dry ice. 5-10 pounds should last 24 hrs in a closed cooler.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%