Cake Pops???

Business By CupcakeMoma Updated 7 Oct 2013 , 10:57pm by Teezerts

CupcakeMoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeMoma Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 14

AI just got a request for cake pops for a Halloween party. I've never sold cake pops before, so I'm not sure how to price them out. I normally price my stuff by serving, would 1 cake pop be 1 serving? I feel like I shouldnt charge a full serving price for 1 since it is less cake then a standard serving would be. Each one will have detailed decoration, so I'm thinking it will be the same time if I would to make a 8" cake or so....I just dont know.

Please help

13 replies
scwright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scwright Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 14

AHow much do you charge per serving for your cakes

karess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karess Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 14

I would say that one cake pop would count as one serving. I don't know how you make cake pops, but (personally) for me, they take more time and labor to make vs. a typical cake.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 14

AIf it's just a simple cake pop with no crazy decorations, I charge $15 a dozen.

Honestly, I'm not in to sculpting cake pops into farm animals and cartoon characters, looks crazy time consuming. I've seen some selling those detailed sculpted cake pops for $40 a dozen.

karess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karess Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 14

I have different set prices for my cake pops and cake servings so I wouldn't say that you should totally rely on your cake prices. My cake pops start at $2 each (no design - just dipped and sprinkles/jimmies/nonpareils if desired). But every area has different pricing that is accepted among its customers. Also, depending on whether you make the cake from scratch or box will influence your food costs 

Cricket1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricket1960 Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 12:02am
post #6 of 14

My cakepops start @ $2 each with simple decoration such as sprinkles etc.

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 14

My cake pops start at $1.75 each, which are simple round cake pops with sprinkles.  Shapes or pops that require a lot of decoration start at $2.50.  I live in a depressed area.  People in the larger town up the road an hour charge more.  The amount of cake and ingredients are usually comparable to a cupcake. 

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 14

Cake pops might look smaller than a serving of cake, but they are very filling.  Between the frosting and the candy melt coating, they are quite rich, so charge away for one serving of dessert.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 14

Cake pops actually take a lot of work and are a pain in the butt.  I charge $3 for plain dipped ones and $5 or more for decorated one.  I actually hate doing them and would rather do a cupcake or pushpop so for me to go through all that hard work it had better be worth it.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 14

AIt's not about the amount of cake, it's the amount of work they take.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 11:20pm
post #11 of 14

I am the opposite of most, I think cake pops are the easiest thing I make.  I do charge $2.00 each and most people order the plain ones.

Teezerts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teezerts Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 14

I only make cake pops.  I wish I could charge more for them but I live in a rural small country town.  I have customers who will not bat an eye at the pricing and others who want me to charge no more than a $1 each for them(which I absolutely will not do)!  I also make mini cake pops for those customers who want them but don't want to pay the price for regular sized ones.  I do designed ones and plain dipped and swirled or sprinkled.  My prices start at $1.75 and go all the way up to $5 each.  It depends on the design and amount of work that goes into them.  I charge $1.00 each for the mini pops.  I really had a hard time at first when customers would gasp at the cost of them.  But not anymore.  If they want them then they can pay the price of them.  I am not going to give them away or make them for nothing!  I do love making them ....although I have a lot to learn yet and I have yet to master scroll work!  I want to learn it badly and I just haven't gotten it down.  Ay tips from anyone?

Thanks!!!

Tee

CupcakeMoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeMoma Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:29pm
post #13 of 14

I charge $3.00 per serving for basic design. Anything very detailed is more, depending on the design. I live in San Diego County, so charging less would be undercuting the market.

Teezerts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teezerts Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:57pm
post #14 of 14

I don't think your prices are unreasonable at all considering where you live.  Hope it all works out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%