pollacia Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 4:03pm
post #1 of

Hi everyone!  

This is my first post, I normally just lurk around and read everyone else's post.  But I have a question, it's not necessarily a cake disaster, but I wasn't sure where else to post it. :smile: 

I just made cupcakes this past weekend for a customer who is a regular, she typically pays through paypal.  We stay in contact primarily through email.  I have not heard from her since the day of the party.  I sent her the invoice the day before ( I have never had any problems whatsoever with her ever before).

I don't know what I should do?  Should I email her and make sure everything is okay? This is very out of character for her, typically she sends an email or gives me a call and tells me how wonderful everything was, and pays the invoice as soon as she gets it.  Which makes me think something else happened?  Maybe family emergency?

Should I wait another day before I contact her?

Thanks everyone!

Shannon

10 replies
-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 4:47pm
post #2 of

hi shannon--

i would assume everything about the cupcakes is fine -- i would not inquire about that and because you know the event is over i would definitely contact her--i would say something short & sweet like 'just a gentle reminder--have not received anything via paypal--please advise'  maybe something like that

cupcakemaker Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 5:26pm
post #3 of

AWhy doesn't she pay before getting the cakes?

reginaherrin Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 5:39pm
post #4 of

You should never let an order go without being paid first.  I am sure there is nothing wrong with the cupcakes but I fear you may never get paid for this order.

pollacia Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 5:53pm
post #5 of

This is the first time I have ever sent an order without a complete payment... and the LAST time I ever do that again.  She has ordered dozens of times from me over the past year, and I assumed I wouldn't have a problem.  (you know what they say about assuming :-P)

I will probably send her a quick little note tonight with a nice little reminder she has yet to pay.

Norasmom Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 6:00pm
post #6 of

She probably just forgot.  

pollacia Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 7:19pm
post #7 of

Okay so I just heard from the lady today through email.  Apologizing for not getting back to me sooner, her grandmother had gone into the hospital the next day and passed away a few days later.  I feel so bad! I know how hard it is to loose a loved one.

Now this next question i hope doesn't make me sound like an ass...Is there a way I can gently remind her for payment? without seeming insensitive? Or should I just let this one go?

cupcakemaker Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 7:26pm
post #8 of

AI would reply saying 'I'm so sorry to hear that. Please take as much time as you need to send payment for the cupcakes, I know you must have a lot on your mind'

And I'm future payment first!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 8:40pm
post #9 of

i would send a condolence email--

then resend the invoice and resend in two weeks then every week until it is paid--

you not only have every right  to collect your money you have a duty to yourself--

everybody suffers loss and we extend sympathy -- we also pay up and collect on our debts

MimiFix Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 9:18pm

The customer's story might or might not be true. But whatever her excuse, she still owes for her purchase. Yes, send her a sympathy note. Then send her the invoice, but do not tell her to take as long as she needs. She's already done that.

pollacia Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:19pm

Thank you guys so much for your responses!  

I went ahead and sent her the condolence email, and resent the invoice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%