White Chocolate Imb Woes!

Decorating By Gourmet Whisk Updated 1 Oct 2013 , 12:57am by Gourmet Whisk

Gourmet Whisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gourmet Whisk Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 5

AI get incredible feedback and lots of requests on my white chocolate IMB but...I have horrible problems with the white chocolate seizing up when I add it to the IMB. Once the IMB is made, the last step is adding the melted & cooled white chocolate. I looks great until I begin spreading it and find big chunks (looking like large shavings) of white chocolate lurking. I pick them out with a toothpick (VERY TIME CONSUMING) while crying every time...I have checked the temperature of both before adding, and it still happened. I added butter/white chocolate cooled alternately, and it still happened. I have NO ISSUES getting the butter incorporated or the liquours (when I use them) its just the white chocoatel I get requests for this icing/filling and cringe each time because I know what it going to happen and how much time it is going to take me to complete the cake. So here are my thoughts for yet another try at fixing the problem....

When I melt the white chocolate, WHAT IF I add a teaspoon of cocoa butter and stir that in. Will it help hold the creamy texture and help it incorporate to the IMB without "chunking"....OR...WHAT IF I cream the room temp butter with the melted cooled white chocolate and THEN add it to the IMB? Please help!

Also, is it possible to substitute one stick of butter with high ratio shortening in the IMB to stabliize for Texas heat and make it easier to use the "paper towel smoother" technique? I have not been able to get that flawless smooth surface with the IBC that I am able to get with traditional powdered sugar/butter/whipping cream Buttercream recipe. Please help! I have a grooms cake (white guitar) this week and they specifically asked for my white chocolate IMB and I would like to have this be a smiling success rather than a crying, time intensive, toothpick picking out chunky's success. Thanks guys and gals!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 12:02am
post #2 of 5

i just made some white chocolate smbc and i added ganache to my icing--worked great--also if you sieve your icing it will pull out all the bloopers pretty easily--my suggestion would be to test this on a small batch--this icing does not crust--i use smbc like i said and i chill the iced cake and use the heat of my hand to smoothy smooth it out--probably might work with italian but i haven't used italian in quite a while--so that's a definite maybe on the heat of your hand thing--good luck and no more tears

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 12:08am
post #3 of 5

in fact i whipped the white chocolate ganache and added it to the swiss

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 12:35am
post #4 of 5

Toba Garrett also recommends making ganache and adding that to your buttercream when you want to add chocolate. 

Gourmet Whisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gourmet Whisk Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 12:57am
post #5 of 5

AGANACHE! OMG Why did I not think of that! I added dark chocolate ganache and mocha liquour to a left over batch of IMB to create a lighter chocolate for a truffle cake and it worked...Duh! I don't know why I didn't think of that...THANK you so much for pulling my head back into the game...NO MORE TEARSI I guess I had better make a post-it in my recipe design binder to remind me of my past spontaneous/blind experiments for later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%