BatterUpCake Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 5:27pm
post #1 of

I am going to an ICES Cake competition later this month with my cake stands. I plan on either giving away a stand, probably 12" but then I thought maybe a raffle. $2 a ticket or 3 for 5. I would really like to straight up give one away but a raffle could possibly help me recoup some of my costs. What do you guys think? I guess my concern is that it may seem tacky to do a raffle or not draw as many people in....

12 replies
MimiFix Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 7:41pm
post #2 of

Why give away one of your stands? What will you gain? Sorry, I hate give aways and (heavily discounted) coupons... PS - Last week I posted about your lovely stands and turntables on my Facebook page.

BatterUpCake Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 8:00pm
post #3 of

I just thought it would bring traffic to my booth

BatterUpCake Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 8:01pm
post #4 of

I just thought it would bring traffic to my booth

BatterUpCake Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 8:03pm
post #5 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 
 PS - Last week I posted about your lovely stands and turntables on my Facebook page.

Thank yo SO much!

CakeChemistry Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 8:40pm
post #6 of

AWhat about complimentary entry into a draw to win a stand when someone buys a product from your stall? For every $x of spend you get a ticket? Then it appears you are giving people something without an outlay. I would be more inclined to get a chance for seemingly nothing (though I am buying stuff and may buy more to get more tickets as I definitely get something in return for my cash) and potentially buy more stuff too x x just a thought. I used to buy stuff from my local chemist cause if you spent over a certain amount you fit a voucher for money off. I always left with a million bits of make up when I went in for a mascara because they kept giving me a voucher!

BatterUpCake Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 8:58pm
post #7 of

The only thing I sell are stands

CakeChemistry Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 9:06pm
post #8 of

AOh ok. If you are the lady I'm thinking of, your stands speak for themselves so maybe you don't need anything like a raffle etc?

CakeChemistry Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 9:09pm
post #9 of

AI've just looked at your website, you are the lady I'm thinking of. Really really nice product.

maybenot Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 10:41pm

You should probably check with the ICES chapter organizing the event.  In many cases, they may have policies in place for vendors. 

Some chapters ask vendors to donate items [goods or vouchers] for the chapter to raffle off to raise money.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 11:29pm

AYou need to check with the state. In my state it is illegal to sell raffle tickets, unless you are a non-profit organization. It is listed under the anti-gambling regulations or some such thing. Also, in some states it is illegal to require someone to make a purchase in order to gain an entry to a give-away. Best to check the laws in your area yourself to avoid a big mess.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 11:36pm

AIt looks like it is not legal in your case. Here are two links that should be able to help you for Virginia.

http://www.vpa.net/index.php/membership/article/games_of_chancehtm/

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-340.16

BatterUpCake Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 3:07am

I didn't even think about that. I will be in MD....probably the same way there

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%