Newbie Here With Some Questions :)

Decorating By JoAnna531 Updated 30 Sep 2013 , 8:22pm by PeasNTatersMom

JoAnna531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnna531 Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 13

I have never worked with fondant before. My son's 2nd birthday is coming up, and I am planning to make his cake (same as I do every year for my kids lol) But this year I decided to be brave and give marshmallow fondant a go. I am wanting to make a cake topper out of the fondant and was wondering how far in advance I can make it. His birthday is on the 19th. Also how do I let it harden, or will it even harden? 

I plan to also try to cover the cake with the fondant, but I am confused about if I should pop the cake into the fridge after doing the crumb coat or if I should let it sit out and dry. 

I have made butter cream frosting a few times and am wondering if there is a good recipe to use with the fondant, or if I can just use the regular one.

Also any other advice would be loved :)

12 replies
rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 13

I'm not a pro but I'll give it a go (someone else can correct if wrong)....

- gum paste is better for making models/toppers as marshmallow fondant tends to be too soft and won't dry hard. you can add CMC powder or tylose to the fondant to make your own gum paste and it will dry harder. Just make it a day or a few days in advance and it will harden on its own.

- yes pop the cake in the fridge after crumb coat. it's easier to cover a cake that has been firmed up. some prefer to cover it frozen, even.

- you can use your regular buttercream

rebecca67e Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 13

my only advice is to watch lots of youtube tutorials on modelling with fondant :-)

PeasNTatersMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeasNTatersMom Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 13

AHi! :) I also am not a pro - still learning lots of things myself, which is why I checked out this thread. Hey you just never know when you might run across some helpful tips!! ;) But I have been making and using MMF for awhile now and absolutely love it for its taste and versatility. Yes it will dry! You can make decorations a month in advance if you want but I would recommend about a week. I recently sculpted my very first MMF roses for a wedding cake, despite all the reviews I read that said you should just use storebought fondant for such projects. I started a week before I needed them and made a few each day. There are different recipes for MMF so you'll want to use a more basic one for the sculpting, as it is a bit stiffer. I can give you the recipes I use if you want. Feel free to msg me! My advice is don't be afraid to play around with it! Just allow yourself enough time to correct mistakes if needed. Also watch/read lots if tutorials. They are a big help to us newbies!!

rebecca67e Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 13

sorry can I ask above poster........ do you use the same MMF recipe for covering your cakes as you use for your decorations? if so, isn't it a bit hard for the cake, or, a bit soft for decorations?

just wondering :-)

PeasNTatersMom Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebecca67e 

sorry can I ask above poster........ do you use the same MMF recipe for covering your cakes as you use for your decorations? if so, isn't it a bit hard for the cake, or, a bit soft for decorations?

just wondering :-)

Hi!  :)  

No I use a different recipe for each.  The one I use to cover my cakes is softer, easier to work with, and I (and my 11 yr old taste-tester) think it is much tastier.  The recipe I am currently using for decorations is a very basic marshmallow and sugar recipe; stiffer and harder to work with, but works well for sculpting.  Also, it still tastes better than storebought fondant (in my opinion).

JoAnna531 Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 13

Thank you for the great advice. I am not sure how to message you but do you think I could get your recipes for the marshmallow fondants that you use.

PeasNTatersMom Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoAnna531 

Thank you for the great advice. I am not sure how to message you but do you think I could get your recipes for the marshmallow fondants that you use.

Sure!  :)

This is the one I use for covering cakes:

MMF Ingredients:

15 oz marshmallows

2 tblsp water

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled) 

2 tsp light corn syrup (helps with pliability)

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp lemon extract

2 lbs confectioners sugar (approx 7 c), sifted

1/2 c Crisco or vegetable shortening

Directions:

Grease microwave proof bowl w crisco.  Also grease wooden or heat resistant spoon.  Pour marshmallows and water into bowl.  Microwave for approx 2 min, stopping and stirring at 40 sec intervals.  Mixture should be soupy.  Take out of microwave and immediately add corn syrup, lemon juice, salt and extracts.  Stir well.  Sift confectioner's sugar into mixture, one cup at a time.  After approx 5 cups, grease your hands well with crisco and knead the mixture in the bowl.  Add the sixth cup and continue to knead.  Now grease your work surface well and turn mixture out of bowl onto counter.  Sift remaining sugar, regrease hands and knead well. If mixture seems soft, add one additional c of powdered sugar.  Shape into a mound and put a coating of crisco on outside.  Double wrap in cling wrap and insert into ziploc bag.  Press air out of bag and seal.  Allow to rest overnight, but can be used after siting for a few hours.   

PeasNTatersMom Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:

This is the one I'm using for decorations:  

Ingredients:

21 oz mini white marshmallows (2-10.5 oz bags)

1/2 c butter

2 lbs confectioner's sugar

1-3 tablespoons water

Directions:

Place the butter and marshmallows in a lg microwave safe bowl.  Place the bowl in the microwave and cook for 30 seconds.  Remove and stir thoroughly.  Repeat these two steps until everything is completely melted and well mixed.  

Leave the marshmallow mixture in its bowl and pour half of the sugar on top.  Mix the powdered sugar into the mixture.  

Generously dust the counter top with confectioner's sugar.  Pour the fondant mixture in the middle.  Coat your hands in confectioner's sugar and sprinkle more on top of the mixture.  Using your hands, this is going to be very sticky, begin kneading the mixture and sugar together, generously adding the other half of the sugar to the mixture, as it is needed.  

Continue kneading the dough until it is smooth and firm, adding more sugar tot the counter top and hands as needed.  If the dough becomes to dry and tears easily, add a little water to soften it, being very careful to not add too much.  

Lightly dust the fondant with confectioner's sugar and place it in a large zippered bag, squeezing out as much air as possible before sealing.  Let it rest at room temperature at least overnight before using.  You can use it right away on small projects, like covering cupcakes, but it will be too soft to do anything larger or to sculpt with.

I used this recipe to make the blue roses on this wedding cake:

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3110220/a/3408712/wedding-cake-with-silver-mmf-and-hand-made-blue-mmf-roses-4-tier-8-layer-cake-boss-white-velvet-wedding-cake-flavor/

PS.  I actually used the recipe I posted for covering cakes when I made the dogwood flowers for my cheesecake wedding cake.  I just let them dry longer.     

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3110191/a/3408700/3-layer-cheesecake-wedding-cake-covered-with-van-buttercream-and-mmf-hand-made-mmf-dogwood-flowers-and-buttercream-branches/ 

PeasNTatersMom Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 13

Things I have learned from working with MMF - 

1. Always grease your hands well. 

2. Clip your nails and take off rings before working with fondant.  They will make infuriating marks on your fondant!

3. You can microwave your fondant for 15 sec intervals to make it easier to mix colors in and roll out

4. Don't microwave your fondant if you are going to use it to sculpt.  It will be too soft to work with :)

5. I always cover my fondant in crisco, double wrap with saran and let sit overnight before use - regardless of which recipe I am using.

Please know that there are LOTS of MMF recipes to be found when you search the web.  There is a "recipe" section here on Cake Central where you might find something that works better for you.  These are just the ones I am currently using.  

Hope this helps a little! 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 6:47pm
post #11 of 13

AYou can buy a little bag of ready made gum paste at your regular craft store, mix some of that with your fondant and your topper will dry rock hard. That is assuming you want it to dry rock hard, your little guy isn't going to want to eat it is he?! You can make it as far in advance as you want to, so long as it won't be eaten. Make sure you don't put it in a sealed box to dry though.

JoAnna531 Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you so much! I will give both of those a try. Looks like I may have to practice a bit and see what works :) But first I will need to make a trip back to the store to pick up more "supplies" lol

I don't think he will try to eat it, he is quite a picky eater. I will be lucky if he even eats the cake lol. I am hoping to be able to make a Kipper the dog for his cake topper, so chances are that he will want to play with it. He loves kipper and always goes around singing the song lol

Now to sit down and start sketching up some ideas :)

once again thank you for the advice!! :)

PeasNTatersMom Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 8:22pm
post #13 of 13

Quote:

Thank you so much! I will give both of those a try. Looks like I may have to practice a bit and see what works :) But first I will need to make a trip back to the store to pick up more "supplies" lol

I don't think he will try to eat it, he is quite a picky eater. I will be lucky if he even eats the cake lol. I am hoping to be able to make a Kipper the dog for his cake topper, so chances are that he will want to play with it. He loves kipper and always goes around singing the song lol

Now to sit down and start sketching up some ideas :)

once again thank you for the advice!! :)

You're welcome!!  :)  I hope you'll share a pic when you've finished - happy birthday to your guy!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%