Cake Rising While Baking

Decorating By CrystalRose89 Updated 1 Oct 2013 , 7:32am by farmgirl2012

CrystalRose89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrystalRose89 Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 10:37am
post #1 of 6

Hi, this might seem like a stupid question but I'm still learning about baking. How do I make my cakes rise more, because all my cakes that I bake are rising in the oven but not enough for me to do much with. By the time I've levelled the top of the cake, there's not much height to it at all. So they sort of come out looking like Egyptian pyramids.

Suggestions please?

5 replies
rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 11:45am
post #2 of 6

can you post the recipe you're using? do you use a leavening agent? or maybe too much leavening...

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 11:53am
post #3 of 6

AAll you need to do is even up the speed the edge bakes compared to the middle;

You can lower the temperature and bake for longer, I bake at 140c for most cakes,

You can use bake-even strips or a damp cloth wrapped and pinned around the pan to slow the speed the sides bake,

You can use a flower nail/heating core to speed the middle up.

Hope that helps! :-)

CrystalRose89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrystalRose89 Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 5:24am
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much for your help! I'm going to bake it right now, I'm really excited to see how it turns out :-)

Daisyblue002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisyblue002 Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 7:22am
post #5 of 6

My cakes were coming out with quite a dome which only gave me about 2 inches of cake once the dome was removed. I've now cut a teatowel up into strips, wrapped a damp strip around the cake with a strip of foil on the outside and now they all come out perfectly even and much higher than previously. Means there is much less wastage (and less scraps for me to eat!). I have to ensure I've got the tins lined with baking paper that come up an inch or two past the top of the tin (or the cake may over-spill).

farmgirl2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmgirl2012 Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 7:32am
post #6 of 6

Baking strips work wonders!  Also, make sure you are not over baking the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%