A Really Crappy Night Over $36 Of Cake Pops.

Decorating By ellavanilla Updated 16 Oct 2013 , 5:00pm by NcLeora

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 1:28am
post #1 of 26

I feel like a jerk right now and I did it to myself and I just need to get it off my chest. I had a great and busy week caking. I made 3 great cakes in a row and when I got a last minute text (who texts in an order) for 12 turtle cake pops, I balked, but I figured they wouldn't take me long, so I agreed.

I should have known, when the woman was so sloooooow to reply every time I texted her back, that I was in trouble. 

So I start around 8 last night. The cake bakes up quickly, the frosting is already made, so I thought, easy peasy!

The chocolate was going great and I got cocky and added more color and it seized up like cement. I was so irritated. But I made another batch anyway. This stuff comes out so thick that the first pop pulls off the stick. UGH!

I decide to use cake melts. I run out to Michaels and when I get there it's just closed. GRRRR. I pick up some powdered sugar at the grocery store and decide to make a pourable fondant, and proceed. It's a mess. So sticky and thick, but I figure, that the cold pops will firm it up, right? NOPE.

It oozes down the pops and runs right off most of them. I'd post a picture, but all you really need to imagine is nuclear waste disease. 

I decide to clean up and start fresh in the morning. It takes forever to get all the utensils and bowls and cups and crap into the dishwasher. I am asleep before the news comes on SNL...

This morning I rise and shine. This time I'm at the store shortly BEFORE it opens. I get the melts and head home. I begin again.  

I am exhausted. On Friday, I'd had a sudden migraine that made me ill for several hours, but it put me behind for Friday evening and Saturday morning. My throat is sore, My legs and feet are throbbing and I'm dreaming of a foot massage. 

I put the first NEW turtle into the melts.....

it falls off the stick. ARE you kidding me???  FAAAAAAAAGAGAGAGA!

I text "customer" and tell her its not going well and I offer to make her cupcakes. I don't hear back, so I proceed to try again. It's a miracle! the next pop is perfect! I do 14 more and finally Im done. She finally texts me back. But I've got it under control. We make an appointment for 2:30. 2:30 passes...I text her...nothing....I text her again and tell her I need an ETA....nothing. I tell her I'm closing at 5...NOTHING.

All I want to do is go to bed. 

it's 6:18 and she just texted me that she misplaced her phone and she's outside my house. I want to go down and throw the box at her. I KNOW that I did this to myself. I KNOW that I over extended myself and that was not her fault., but for goodness sake, sometimes it seems like I deserve a cosmic break, you know???

Lesson learned. 

~Jen

25 replies
kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 1:37am
post #2 of 26

ACake pops - just say no!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 1:37am
post #3 of 26

I hate when things don't go as planned!  I hope you are resting!

ellavanilla Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 1:45am
post #4 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Cake pops - just say no!

This was advice i could have used 72 hours ago! LOL

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 2:01am
post #5 of 26

Go to bed. Who cares what time it is if you are exhausted and not feeling well.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 2:15am
post #6 of 26

:(It really does seem like once one thing goes wrong it sets off a domino effect and just gets worse and worse. Glad you finally got them done and behind you. Now, do like cazza said and go to bed and get some rest.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 3:29am
post #7 of 26

"nuclear waste disease" --too funny!

:lol:

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 3:44am
post #8 of 26

Oh, how I can relate!  I've had too many days like that.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 3:59am
post #9 of 26

ASorry you had such a tough time. Go get some rest and feel better. Tomorrow will be a new day! :)

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 12:25pm
post #10 of 26

Sorry you had such a crappy day, hope you've had a rest and can put this behind you. I'd rather make a whole wedding cake than stupid cake pops.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 26

I just saw this and hope you got some well deserved rest and are feeling better. It seems like when you are exhausted and just want people to be on time and do what they say they will do, they disappoint you. I hate, absolutely hate, that customers feel it is ok to be so careless with other people's time. She said 2:30, she should have been there at 2:30 and given you a nice tip for taking on such a short notice order. I hope you are feeling much better!!

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 2:36pm
post #12 of 26

If she was't there by 4 I would have had Turtles for dinner. I went to bed at 7:30 last night. Never too early when you are feeling like crap

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 3:09pm
post #13 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Cake pops - just say no!

Amen

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 7:49pm
post #14 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakespirations 

Amen

preach it. did them once, never again. 

7189de Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7189de Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 8:42pm
post #15 of 26

Sorry you had a rough day. However thanks for the advice,was asked to do cake pops,think I'll say noooo.

crueaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crueaa Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 8:51pm
post #16 of 26

AI truly hate that am sorry for you hope you feel better

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 2:38am
post #17 of 26

Thanks, I was trying to decide whether or not to start doing cake pops.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 12:35pm
post #18 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

Thanks, I was trying to decide whether or not to start doing cake pops.

Nooooo don't do it......

ellavanilla Posted 3 Oct 2013 , 4:02pm
post #19 of 26

thanks everyone! I am definitely out of the cake pop biz! i'll tell you, after the darned things were picked up, I had to just force myself to calm down so I didn't become crazed over something so inconsequential in my life. 

I was "this close" to grabbing the Xanax! 

This is one of the reasons I don't like making cakes that are supposed to look like cartoons or characters. I like cake to look like cake, and it's just so much less stressful!

OccCakesMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OccCakesMT Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 3:47pm
post #20 of 26

Ok.. So with all of this in mind (I'm new at this so forgive my nonsense)  I am doing a monster cake with 4 cake pop eyes.  Is it worth going out and getting the cake pop molds? Or should I just do white rolled fondant with a cake pop stick?

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 6:31pm
post #21 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by OccCakesMT 

Ok.. So with all of this in mind (I'm new at this so forgive my nonsense)  I am doing a monster cake with 4 cake pop eyes.  Is it worth going out and getting the cake pop molds? Or should I just do white rolled fondant with a cake pop stick?

If I was in this situation I would make them cake pops for the novelty of it. Kids get a kick out of eating eyeballs. I would use the scraps of that cake, the buttercream, and a small red ice cream scoop. A bowl full of white candy melts, dip, let it harden, embellish, and call it a day. I might even make a few to throw in for the kids just because I am in the process. but for someone to call and order cake pops alone.. No. I cake pop only on dessert tables when a ton of variety is called for.

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 8:13pm
post #22 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

thanks everyone! I am definitely out of the cake pop biz! i'll tell you, after the darned things were picked up, I had to just force myself to calm down so I didn't become crazed over something so inconsequential in my life.

I was "this close" to grabbing the Xanax!

This is one of the reasons I don't like making cakes that are supposed to look like cartoons or characters. I like cake to look like cake, and it's just so much less stressful!

I did the Wilton Candyland  Cover Cake AND Hello Kitty cake pops for my grand daughter's bday! Never again, they took more time than I thought but they looked very nice!

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 5 Oct 2013 , 9:42pm
post #23 of 26

I made cake pops one time. I will NEVER make them again. If I was offered $100 for them, I still wouldn't make them! I feel for you! 

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 8:23pm
post #24 of 26

Late reply to this - but I'm in the NO CAKE POP group.  Once was enough for me!

Hope you are feeling better!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 8:36pm
post #25 of 26

AIf it wouldn't take me so long to figure out how, this would be my new signature!

Original message sent by kikiandkyle

Cake pops - just say no!

NcLeora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NcLeora Posted 16 Oct 2013 , 5:00pm
post #26 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

ARE you kidding me???  FAAAAAAAAGAGAGAGA!

LOL I have definitely been there, sorry you weren't feeling well.  I agree with the others, no cake pops...Ain't nobody got time for that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%