Stabilizing Tall Thin Cake

Decorating By FioreCakes Updated 2 Oct 2013 , 3:46am by kikiandkyle

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all! Hopefully I can make sense here. Yesterday I tried to structurally support a cake that was the shape of a soda cup that you would get from a fast food restaurant. Due to it's small base it was wobbly, so I stuck a dowel through it. However, I wanted this cake to sit on top of a cake board. How would you support a cake like this to the cake board? Should I have an an internal support attached to the cake board and then stack the cake on top of the support? Hope this makes sense! 

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 9

yes--make sure the dowel and cake board are 'one' -- for example sink the dowel into a nice piece of foam under the cake board and hot glue it all up -- then thread the cake onto the dowel---sometimes i leave a skewer sticking up out of the top so i have a handle to keep things level and safe during delivery then snip it off and close up the hole--

-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 9

by foam under the cake board--i mean like an inch or two thick slice of foam depending on your project

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 9

The stress I went through delivering this cake on Sunday is unbelievable!

We drilled a hole through 1 cake board, then glued a wooden dowel into place.  We then glued another board underneath.  There were five x 5" cakes (the shoulders of the bottle were rkt and the neck was the only non-edible part - that was cardboard tubing) that were each on their own cake board (with a hold drilled through the middle so they could go over the dowel!) Two plastic dowels were placed in each cake to support the cake above it!

In hindsight, we should have screwed up through the bottom board into the dowel, too, because it was sooo wobbly. I think the weight of the cakes and movement whilst decorating it probably dislodged the dowel?

I had to travel in the back with the cake with my hands very lightly supporting the cake.

This beast of a cake was over 2 feet tall... it was five x 5" chocolate sponges filled with caramel flavour buttercream, then covered with rich chocolate ganache before decorating. Transporting it was the most terrifying thing I've done in my career to date! Everything was completely edible, except for the bottle neck! Even the cork screw was edible!! This was a labour of love - a gift for my husband's cousin's 50th birthday. Oh, and that's a full-sized wine bottle next to it!!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 9

relznik--so well done and the sweet detail of the corkscrew sets if off perfectly--

it

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you K8memphis.  This was sooooo far out of my comfort zone, I thought I'd need a passport, LOL!!  It was a labour of love - for my husband's cousin.  If I got asked to do one again, I'd only do it 4 cakes high...  five was a cake too far!  And I would probably charge a few hundred pounds!!!!

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 9

Styrofoam! Of course! That would have worked for sure! That bottle cake is amazing, mine was only half that size and I couldn't get it to stand up! Great work!

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 3:14am
post #8 of 9

Really well done Relznik!! I'm messaging you for help if I ever have to do a bottle cake.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 2 Oct 2013 , 3:46am
post #9 of 9

AIt looks amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%