morganchampagne Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 5:45am
post #1 of

AHi guys! In the process of outfitting the room next to my kitchen..I'm making that a work area for decorating. My kitchen is great but I'm Thr point where I really need more space. Anyways, heres my question!

I am looking for some work tables. The bakery I used to work at had some steel ones..but they are a bit tall for me. I am 5'1". So wondering if any of my fellow shorties out there can recommend some tables good for our height? At the bakery I used to just stand on stuff but not really wanting to do that if I don't have to..

Thanks!

15 replies
AZCouture Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 8:05am
post #2 of

AIf all else fails, cut the legs down.

morganchampagne Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 7:15pm
post #3 of

AThanks AZ..it's looking like that's what I'm going to have to do. Just was hoping there was a table out there that eliminated that extra step. Pipe dream lol

MimiFix Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 7:43pm
post #4 of

I'm your height so I know the issues with workbenches that are too high. I've usually just made do, but I once had a workbench with adjustable height legs. 

Something like this with adjustable legs might meet your health dept code 

adjustable height workbench

morganchampagne Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 2:56am
post #5 of

AThanks MiMi!! That gives me something to start with.

IAmPamCakes Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 3:09am
post #6 of

AOh man. I know all about having to cope with everything being too high. I'm 5'nothin' so kneeling on stools & climbing shelves are part of every day. Unfortunately, I work in a commercial kitchen where there is no option of adjusting things to fit me. Good luck with your table search! Hopefully you find something that works.

morganchampagne Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 3:49pm
post #7 of

AYes between pastry school and the bakery I got to be really limber lol. I was always jumping, reaching, climbing.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 10:21pm
post #8 of

the nice stainless big work tables often used in kitchens are made so that you can cut off the legs--just request it of your supplier--they cut the top of the leg off--then slide the leg back into it's fitting--perfectly reasonable request--

i'm almost 5'8" but i still have steps to stand on to make things more ergonomic--leaning my upper body into for example kneading fondant or cutting cheesecake makes it much easier--i also have a 29" equipment table because it is very convenient to reach mixers and etc and pour from there into pans etc.--

heating egg whites for icing at the stove when they are in a double boiler--my arm is falling off just thinking about not using the step over there--so much easier to lower my arm down into the bowl to whisk constantly--

i don't know you do it--cut the legs cut the legs ;) no worries

oh my aching back ;)

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 10:37pm
post #9 of

i meant "i don't know how you do it"

vgcea Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 10:50pm

AIkea makes table legs with adjustable heights you can mix and match with different table tops including a stainless steel one.

Apti Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 11:55pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea 

Ikea makes table legs with adjustable heights you can mix and match with different table tops including a stainless steel one.

Get outta town!   I'm heading over to the IKEA website!

Just did a quick search and found this with adjustable legs:

https://www.schooloutfitters.com/catalog/product_family_info/cPath/CAT1287_CAT1461/pfam_id/PFAM6903

vgcea Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 12:55am

ALOL!

morganchampagne Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 3:03am

ASo this ended up being a lot simpler than originally thought lol. I went to the restaurant supply place and got a table that was already the height I needed. No cutting or anything. And at $140 it wasn't a bad deal (I do get a discount for being a business) very pleased. However! I did pass on the picture provided here by MiMi to a fellow baker across town. As always, thanks for the help!

vgcea Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 4:32am

AAwesome! How big (LxW) is the table? I'm in the market for a stainless steel one.

morganchampagne Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 10:52am

AIt's a 24x48 with a galvanized under shelf. It's one of the smaller ones the store had but perfect for me

vgcea Posted 1 Oct 2013 , 3:09pm

AThanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%