Can I Paint On Smbc?

Decorating By BatterUpCake Updated 30 Sep 2013 , 12:47pm by cazza1

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 12:50am
post #1 of 25

After 2 months of my daughter telling me she wants a specific cake for my granddaughters birthday she texts me about an hour ago and asks if I can change it to a night sky. She absolutely hates fondant and the cake has SMBC.  Is there anyway I can paint on it? If so with what medium. I have Googled and searched on here and found nothing...

BTW the party is at 1130 tomorrow...

24 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 1:53am
post #2 of 25

AProbably airbrushing. If you don't have an airbrush and can't get it locally, you can try the food coloring spray. I think Duff has one at Michaels and Wilton has one.

You could use silver dragees in different sizes for the stars.

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:00am
post #3 of 25

You don't think I could mix powdered food coloring with vodka and do it?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:07am
post #4 of 25

ASorry, I've never done it. I just looked up some old posts and it seems you cannot airbrush it either. http://cakecentral.com/t/605461/imbc-anyone-paint-on-it

Can you just mix up a bit more frosting and color it, then put a thin layer of the colored icing over your white?

Good luck!

ttaunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttaunt Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:08am
post #5 of 25

I painted on buttercream after it was crusted with no problem.Just need a soft bristle and don't press too hard. I painted flowers and leaves.

ttaunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttaunt Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:09am
post #6 of 25

I used reg wilton colors with a few drops of vodka.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:09am
post #7 of 25

ANope. It's fat based...it will just bead up and.look awful. You could use a spatula and apply it that way, meaning color some smbc, and patch it on, paint with a spatula if you get my meaning.

AZCouture Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:10am
post #8 of 25

A

Original message sent by ttaunt

I painted on buttercream after it was crusted with no problem.Just need a soft bristle and don't press too hard. I painted flowers and leaves.

Crusting butter cream yes, smbc, no.

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:10am
post #9 of 25

uggghhhh

AZCouture Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:12am
post #10 of 25

ABatterup, I thought you had worked with smbc before?

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:21am
post #11 of 25

That's all I use. I color it using powdered food coloring but I never tried decorating it with anything but Fondant. She made some Wendy & Peter Pan silhouettes that she wants to fly through the night sky. I was hoping there was some way to paint the scene on :-(

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:24am
post #12 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker 

Sorry, I've never done it. I just looked up some old posts and it seems you cannot airbrush it either. http://cakecentral.com/t/605461/imbc-anyone-paint-on-it

Can you just mix up a bit more frosting and color it, then put a thin layer of the colored icing over your white?

Good lu

That or using fondant pieces for the moon and stars is what I am going to have to do. I tried printing out a scene to get made into an edible image but my printer is out of color ink...lol

AZCouture Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:24am
post #13 of 25

AUse fondant. Tell her like any other client, that you need to use fondant to achieve an acceptable result. Pick the oh so offensive fondant off. Geez Louise...lol.

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:27am
post #14 of 25

LOL..actually she did eat some of the fondant from her birthday cake now that I think of it. It was MMF. She'll get what I show up with and like it..

AZCouture Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 3:16am
post #15 of 25

AThere ya go, that's the spirit!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 7:03pm
post #16 of 25

hi--sure you can paint on smbc--

fwiw i have air brushed on smbc successfully--i mean getting super deep dark colors was never my goal --like if you wanted a deep dark vibrant navy colored skyline using a different medium would be best i agree--but i've surely done all colors including black and grey and i sometimes use stencils too--it's very possible to do what you're suggesting on soft non-crusting coverings--

and i also agree that using the mediums you are comfortable with is a great way to go too

AZCouture Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 8:03pm
post #17 of 25

AReally? Cause when I've oversprayed airbrush onto smbc, it was pretty ugly. I would really love to see successful water based painting of any kind over a heavy fat based icing, really, I'm intrigued.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 10:37pm
post #18 of 25

sure--behind the shoe is a colorful tier cake that is air brushed smbc--in fact it's duff's recipe where it's uncooked egg whites because it was a dummy cake--so it's extra greasy--i typically will overpipe some detail--but there's that one--and that's one that i used a stencil of a rose--held it just away from the surface--so they were all the same--this is layered air brushing where i stacked up the colors--

and this was using air brush color sometimes watered down

i thought about you several times lately because my daughter's recent wedding cake was four different tier cakes--where one had a 9" top and one had a 7" cake on top -- no decor no topper--plain--but they were rough iced--god i love rough iced cakes! potential squatapotamous cakes--but they all looked good ;)

BatterUpCake Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 3:18pm
post #19 of 25

OK..here's the cake (after little fingers poked it) My daughter added the Peter Pan silhouettes. I wanted to do a fancy cake but she likes very simple things.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 3:46pm
post #20 of 25

AYou're cake turned out adorable!!!! Love it

BatterUpCake Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 3:50pm
post #21 of 25

Thank you. It is the Sweetopolita Backberry, Vanilla, Marscapone cake. I'm not a blackberry fan at all but think it would have been wonderful with blueberries...

Oh I ended up just using white and yellow writing gel and a tiny paintbrush...

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 1:58am
post #22 of 25

I like it!!  For future,  I would have suggested that you use piping gel. Blue comes out really dark with that stuff. 

jen

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 2:05am
post #23 of 25

I airbrushed this cake, which was covered in buttercream.  The brown is fondants but the top and sides were airbrushed dark green. It beaded in a few spots but I just presumed that that was because I was a beginner in a hurry and didn't paint in multiple layers.   It did not want to dry, though.

BatterUpCake Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 10:42am
post #24 of 25

What kind of Buttercream?

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 12:47pm
post #25 of 25

Swiss

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%