Bride Wants Refund

Business By RoseySweets Updated 7 Oct 2013 , 9:32pm by MimiFix

BrandisBaked Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 7:41pm
post #31 of 77

AIs she insane? Or did you mix the pics up with someone else's order? Those cakes are ALL ruffles! :duh:

RoseySweets Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 7:45pm
post #32 of 77

I gave her ruffles, but apparently, she didn't want any of the extra. No ribbon and no flower. So she was upset with that. 

melodym38 Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 7:50pm
post #33 of 77

AI can't wait to see pics of the cake you did for her.... And I agree what an offensive shirt to wear to a wedding, but doesn't warrant a free cake... But I would waive the delivery fee because of the shirt

gatorcake Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 7:58pm
post #34 of 77

Based on your description of events I actually believe she should have been refunded the delivery fee based on fiance's shirt and not given a refund for the cake.  Sorry but you don't get to say do something like the photos and I am not picky and then get to be picky.  The cake you describe is something like the photos she provided.  No reasonable individual would have known she did not want flowers or ribbon since they are part of the cakes she sent you.  Thus you have been more than generous offering a full refund.

 

However I don't think the generosity which you extended covers the unprofessional delivery.  This shirt is more than offensive, it is demeaning (yes it debases women), derogatory, and dehumanizing (reducing women to a man's possession).  And while some will say oh it is simply funny.  Frankly there is nothing to laugh about.  

 

It matters not that only the aunt saw it--the fact that he wore it during a delivery made the delivery unprofessional (whether someone saw it or not).  Thus on that alone the delivery fee should be refunded no matter what other refund you offered her.  So in this case you should refund everything -- you offered to refund the cake, the delivery should be refunded due to the unprofessional delivery, the latter is not contingent on the former.

BrandisBaked Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 8:03pm
post #35 of 77

AOP offered a refund, Brizezilla refused the refund and demanded more. Based on that refusal, OP is within her rights to rescind the refund offer completely.

BrandisBaked Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 8:06pm
post #36 of 77

AOh, and as for the shirt, I agree it was unprofessional. HOWEVER, there are businesses with offensive names and slogans ("Eat Me", "Kickass Cakes" "Milf & Cookies", etc.) - you can't demand free product or delivery based on someone else's standard of what's appropriate on an article of clothing viewed during delivery.

However, if he'd come in the buff or covered in motor oil and was handling the cake - that would be a different story.

Norasmom Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 8:10pm
post #37 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

You were more than generous and she spit in your face. This is the point where I'd say "so sue me" and not give her anything.

Another classic case of a bride wanting a cake for free.  You should NOT be refunding her money, she gave you pictures and free reign over the design.  She's so cheap she wouldn't want to pay a lawyer, so tell her to go ahead and sue you.  She doesn't have a case...

RoseySweets Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 8:18pm
post #38 of 77

I have already processed the refund minus the $40. So if she'd like to send it back(I'm more than sure she won't), then so be it. But I do see both sides. The shirt was offensive(my slip up for not noticing what he was wearing). But that does not negate the fact that I drove over 20 miles to her venue. She didn't ask for a refund, I offered out of good faith...but apparently I shouldn't do that anymore either. I can't imagine someone trying to sue over $40, as it would cost her more to do so. But.....I digress. I'm not particularly worried about that. I don't actually have to pay my lawyer(its my mom). I'm more bothered at how she's acting. 

Norasmom Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 8:23pm
post #39 of 77

The good thing about certain unhappy customers is that you never have to see them again.  Something tells me you won't be dealing with her.  If she does post negative reviews, remember people also post good reviews!  I take everything into consideration when I am ordering a service.

jason_kraft Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 8:27pm
post #40 of 77

A

Original message sent by BrandisBaked

Oh, and as for the shirt, I agree it was unprofessional. HOWEVER, there are businesses with offensive names and slogans ("Eat Me", "Kickass Cakes" "Milf & Cookies", etc.) - you can't demand free product or delivery based on someone else's standard of what's appropriate on an article of clothing viewed during delivery.

If a business has an "offensive" name and you choose to book with them anyway, you know exactly what you are getting into. This case is different since (presumably) OP's business name is not offensive, but the delivery was handled in a less than professional manner.

OP is just lucky no one responsible for managing the venue saw the shirt, depending on the sensibility of the management and the venue's clientele it could result in being banned from future deliveries.

I agree that standards are subjective, but only to a point. The shirt in question is obviously beyond that point.

RoseySweets Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 8:31pm
post #41 of 77

I agree with Jason, but to be honest....I wouldn't be too offended with being banned from there. That was a horrible experience, lol. It definitely wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I didn't appreciate having to drive through their lawn to get to where the delivery was. But again, lesson learned. 

carmijok Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 8:58pm
post #42 of 77

AFirst of all a quick drawing of a design sent to her before you baked the cake would have saved you some grief over the cake design. Another way to approach a bride who sends photos and wants to leave it up to you to combine the elements is to ask what she likes about the designs and what she doesn't. Of course that's in the past so, lesson learned there, right?

You shouldn't have offered a full refund but you did so you should send it to her...without the delivery fee. When she cashes the check or accepts an online payment...however you do it...you are under no legal obligation to pay her any more money as her acceptance of the money reflects her acceptance of payment in full..particularly if you state that in a letter enclosed with payment. If she sends the money back then I would just let it lay there. If she's desperate to 'sue' you it will only be through small claims court and you have ample evidence that you tried to refund her and she refused.

As far as the shirt is concerned I say it would be crazy to even consider that as part of a reason to refund anything. It's worth responding to the complaint by being more vigilant in future deliveries, but to consider falling all over yourself and refunding money because one person was offended by a tasteless t-shirt is not really feasible and is overkill IMO. Apologize, learn from it and go on.

BatterUpCake Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 9:03pm
post #43 of 77

What kind of flowers did you put on it? How thick was the ribbon? This was definitely her fault for not being specific, but I can also see how the professional should be able to draw the info out of the customer or provide a sketch or specific description. Still not worthy of a full refund.

RoseySweets Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 10:18pm
post #44 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 
 

What kind of flowers did you put on it? How thick was the ribbon? This was definitely her fault for not being specific, but I can also see how the professional should be able to draw the info out of the customer or provide a sketch or specific description. Still not worthy of a full refund.

 

Tis true I should have been able to draw it out of her, so I have put into my order form a section about "absolutely NOTS" lol, just for those brides or guests of honor who say "I don't know, surprise me." I don't usually get that from the brides, but I sure do get it a lot from birthday and other special occasions customers. Though I've never had anyone who wasn't pleased. So this is my first displeased customer....and of course, I do see she is reaching,  but I also can understand the fairytale she may have painted in her mind about her special day.  

gatorcake Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 12:17am
post #45 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

Oh, and as for the shirt, I agree it was unprofessional. HOWEVER, there are businesses with offensive names and slogans ("Eat Me", "Kickass Cakes" "Milf & Cookies", etc.) - you can't demand free product or delivery based on someone else's standard of what's appropriate on an article of clothing viewed during delivery.

However, if he'd come in the buff or covered in motor oil and was handling the cake - that would be a different story.

 

This is ridiculous--there is nothing remotely professional about this shirt.  No reasonable person is going to say for a business that delivers this kind of thing is okay.  First the business is not my Three *****es Cakes so your point about names is frankly irrelevant.  

 

Second whatever you think of the shirt it includes a word that is considered profane.  Oh right, as a noun it refers to female animals---if this is your justification--thank you for proving the point.  This is akin to delivering a cake in motor oil.  No wait, I would rather have a person deliver a cake in motor oil rather than seeing someone that thinks its good fun to refer to a woman as a *****.

 

There are standards of professional attire.  And by your position showing up in a banana hammock would be just as acceptable- after all all standards of professional attire ultimately depended upon what some individuals have determined to be appropriate articles of clothing.  Customers are well within their right to demand a refund on a delivery charge.  If I am paying for you to deliver I am paying for a professional service as such I expect your delivery to reflect a standard of professionalism.  And if someone who represents your business fails to provide that level of service you bet I am going to ask for you to refund what I paid you to provide that service.  Delivery is more than simply showing up as you want as you nicely point out in your final line. 

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 12:45am
post #46 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorcake 
 

 

This is ridiculous--there is nothing remotely professional about this shirt.  No reasonable person is going to say for a business that delivers this kind of thing is okay.  First the business is not my Three *****es Cakes so your point about names is frankly irrelevant.

 

Second whatever you think of the shirt it includes a word that is considered profane.  Oh right, as a noun it refers to female animals---if this is your justification--thank you for proving the point.  This is akin to delivering a cake in motor oil.  No wait, I would rather have a person deliver a cake in motor oil rather than seeing someone that thinks its good fun to refer to a woman as a *****.

 

There are standards of professional attire.  And by your position showing up in a banana hammock would be just as acceptable- after all all standards of professional attire ultimately depended upon what some individuals have determined to be appropriate articles of clothing.  Customers are well within their right to demand a refund on a delivery charge.  If I am paying for you to deliver I am paying for a professional service as such I expect your delivery to reflect a standard of professionalism.  And if someone who represents your business fails to provide that level of service you bet I am going to ask for you to refund what I paid you to provide that service.  Delivery is more than simply showing up as you want as you nicely point out in your final line.

 

The OP has stated repeatedly it was inappropriate and was mortified when she found out her husband wore it....

BrandisBaked Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 12:57am
post #47 of 77

A

Original message sent by gatorcake

This is ridiculous--there is nothing remotely professional about this shirt.  No reasonable person is going to say for a business that delivers this kind of thing is okay.  First the business is not my Three *****es Cakes so your point about names is frankly irrelevant.  

Second whatever you think of the shirt it includes a word that is considered profane.  Oh right, as a noun it refers to female animals---if this is your justification--thank you for proving the point.  This is akin to delivering a cake in motor oil.  No wait, I would rather have a person deliver a cake in motor oil rather than seeing someone that thinks its good fun to refer to a woman as a *****.

There are standards of professional attire.  And by your position showing up in a banana hammock would be just as acceptable- after all all standards of professional attire ultimately depended upon what some individuals have determined to be appropriate articles of clothing.  Customers are well within their right to demand a refund on a delivery charge.  If I am paying for you to deliver I am paying for a professional service as such I expect your delivery to reflect a standard of professionalism.  And if someone who represents your business fails to provide that level of service you bet I am going to ask for you to refund what I paid you to provide that service.  Delivery is more than simply showing up as you want as you nicely point out in your final line. 

Did you actually READ what I wrote? I said it was unprofessional, therefore, your rant is irrelevant.

AZCouture Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:15am
post #48 of 77

ADo you have photos of this cake, and the ones she sent you to work from?

BatterUpCake Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:30am
post #49 of 77

She posted the pics she is supposed to work from. She has not received photos from the photographer yet but it is in the contract that she gets copies. The bride has to  see the pics first though. SHe is probably trying to get a reduced price from the photographer..lol

moyofore Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 2:31am
post #50 of 77

I guess it's just a case to learn from. Never allow oversights(when she said she isn't picky). She was only playing safe. Who knows maybe she had a plan of asking for a refund by sending you 4 different pictures.

kikiandkyle Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 3:57am
post #51 of 77

AThis lady apparently doesn't know much about Craigslist if she thinks she can put a bad review on there.

melodym38 Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 4:01am
post #52 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoseySweets 
 

I have already processed the refund minus the $40. So if she'd like to send it back(I'm more than sure she won't), then so be it. But I do see both sides. The shirt was offensive(my slip up for not noticing what he was wearing). But that does not negate the fact that I drove over 20 miles to her venue. She didn't ask for a refund, I offered out of good faith...but apparently I shouldn't do that anymore either. I can't imagine someone trying to sue over $40, as it would cost her more to do so. But.....I digress. I'm not particularly worried about that. I don't actually have to pay my lawyer(its my mom). I'm more bothered at how she's acting. 

 

Hmmmm, sounds like the situation is handled... and I think you did good!  Dont worry about the $40.00 she is complaining about. You apologized for the shirt issue already, so I she sues over the 40 then Oh well!  You handled everything very "nicely" : )

AZCouture Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 7:47am
post #53 of 77

AStupid phone. Apparently I clicked the button that blocks you, and I was trying to undo it and missed the post with the pics. Oh hell, a bad review on Craigslist? Whatever disxourages the other cheapies from calling, I say! Heh heh...yeah, she sounds like a winner. Good luck with her.

AZCouture Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 7:50am
post #54 of 77

AThe only time I'll just make something from my own ideas without a sketch is for established clients. I'd be very nervous if a bride told me to just go for it. I would insist on showing her my ideas.

ShelbyN Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 12:14am
post #55 of 77

Wow --- I can't wait to see the photo of your cake.  This bride sounds like a real bridezilla.

BatterUpCake Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 1:46am
post #56 of 77

Speaking of Bridezilla's they just started showing it on my regular channel. Really? I'd punch a bride in the mouth!! Plus it's all budget brides now.

Paperfishies Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 2:26am
post #57 of 77

A

Original message sent by gatorcake

This is ridiculous--there is nothing remotely professional about this shirt.  No reasonable person is going to say for a business that delivers this kind of thing is okay.  First the business is not my Three *****es Cakes so your point about names is frankly irrelevant.  

Second whatever you think of the shirt it includes a word that is considered profane.  Oh right, as a noun it refers to female animals---if this is your justification--thank you for proving the point.  This is akin to delivering a cake in motor oil.  No wait, I would rather have a person deliver a cake in motor oil rather than seeing someone that thinks its good fun to refer to a woman as a *****.

There are standards of professional attire.  And by your position showing up in a banana hammock would be just as acceptable- after all all standards of professional attire ultimately depended upon what some individuals have determined to be appropriate articles of clothing.  Customers are well within their right to demand a refund on a delivery charge.  If I am paying for you to deliver I am paying for a professional service as such I expect your delivery to reflect a standard of professionalism.  And if someone who represents your business fails to provide that level of service you bet I am going to ask for you to refund what I paid you to provide that service.  Delivery is more than simply showing up as you want as you nicely point out in your final line. 

Interesting point of view. Personally I don't find the shirt offensive...but moving past the shirt...I wonder if anyone has ever found me offensive while delivering cupcakes/cake. I have a full sleeve of tattoos on my arm, one of those being a zombie hello kitty. I have to say, if someone demanded a refund because they found my body art offensive, I'd probably laugh. So how far do you take this "standard of professionalism" regarding the simple delivery of goods?

jason_kraft Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 2:42am
post #58 of 77

A

Original message sent by Paperfishies

So how far do you take this "standard of professionalism" regarding the simple delivery of goods?

A good rule of thumb: if people are talking about the appearance of the person who delivered an item instead of the item itself, something is probably wrong. This could involve excessive violent imagery, immodesty, profanity, misogyny, hate speech, or even polarizing political or religious opinions.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 2:42am
post #59 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paperfishies 


Interesting point of view. Personally I don't find the shirt offensive...but moving past the shirt...I wonder if anyone has ever found me offensive while delivering cupcakes/cake. I have a full sleeve of tattoos on my arm, one of those being a zombie hello kitty. I have to say, if someone demanded a refund because they found my body art offensive, I'd probably laugh.
So how far do you take this "standard of professionalism" regarding the simple delivery of goods?

Oh. My. Gosh. You don't airbrush over them for every delivery!? 

 

The lady who did my wedding cupcakes showed up in her PJs, she had slept in til after 10, and when she woke up thought the wedding was at 10:30am, so just grabbed the Tupperwares of cuppies and ran with them.

Never occurred to me to get upset at her attire, the guests weren't there to see, we actually went out for coffee after.

howsweet Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 3:30am
post #60 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

The only time I'll just make something from my own ideas without a sketch is for established clients. I'd be very nervous if a bride told me to just go for it. I would insist on showing her my ideas.

Same here and even then, I send them a sketch.

 

I have my delivery people either wear black pants with a white button down shirt or a chef's coat (provided by me). One of them wears a tie. If my husband wore a shirt like that on a delivery, I would assume he was passive aggressively trying to sabotage my business or didn't take my business seriously. :D That said, to make such a big deal out of it was small-minded of the customer and on that point, I'd apologize, but nothing more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%