First Time With Fondant

Decorating By LookAPikachu Updated 29 Sep 2013 , 8:24am by Rohini

LookAPikachu Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 5:43am
post #1 of 6

Hi im going to make my sisters cake its going to be butter cream icing with royal icing flowers and random fondant decorations 

​and i have never worked with fondant but ive seen some tutorials and i know i can do it but i just wanted to know

1. Can i prepare with fondant decorations now or not yet?(party's not until oct 5th)

2. How do i store my Fondant decorations?

Thanks for your time 

5 replies
rongxinyun Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 2:27am
post #2 of 6

Agood luck. waiting somebody answer your question too.

Norasmom Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 2:32am
post #3 of 6

yes, you can make them now and store them in a box or container.  Last time I put royal icing on buttercream, the royal icing darkened.  

Rohini Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 6:55am
post #4 of 6

Hi!

Yes you can make them now. I usually make my fondant decorations with fondant to which I add some cmc or tylose powder. This helps the decorations dry harder and quicker. I then usually store them in room temperature in a darkened room so the colors don't fade. I also sometimes store my decorations on a tray in a closet as well.

georgia zanin Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 7:40am
post #5 of 6

A

Original message sent by Rohini

Hi!

Yes you can make them now. I usually make my fondant decorations with fondant to which I add some cmc or tylose powder. This helps the decorations dry harder and quicker. I then usually store them in room temperature in a darkened room so the colors don't fade. I also sometimes store my decorations on a tray in a closet as well.

Or instead of adding tylose to the fondant you can just use gum paste it will set just as fast as adding tylose and you can roll it A ALOT thinner so if making flowers it looks A LOT more realistic. Other wise youse Rohini's method. Fondant and gum past don't go off so if your decorations are thick I would give them a good 2 or so weeks to set being supported so when you place them on the cake they don't dis shape and I thought the same about the fondant that I could do it comfortably but I tore mine on the cake and had to re start. I recommend just rolling some out and smoothing it over a fake cake or cake tin upside down just to get the fell of it so you don't waste a cake on the day. Hope this helped :)

Rohini Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 8:24am
post #6 of 6

Completely agree with georgia zanin. I usually use gumpaste or flowerpaste as well when making flowers as you can  roll it out very thin and make realistic looking flowers. Using gumpaste with letter cutters is also good as you can roll it very thin and the letters dry hard and do not break as easily.  But if you're making figures like teddy bears, dolls etc.I've found that it's best to use a combination of fondant with cmc or tylose powder. This allows me to roll smooth balls without any cracks in them. Using just gumpaste (or even 50/50 gumpaste-fondant mix) for figures has always resulted in balls with cracks in them for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%