Rolling Out Fondant On Vinyl

Decorating By jmullican6 Updated 27 Sep 2013 , 10:25pm by jmullican6

jmullican6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmullican6 Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 6

When you guys roll your fondant out on a piece of vinyl, do you grease the vinyl?  I just bought some at Hobby Lobby and am ready to give it a try!

Thanks - 

Michelle

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 6

Shouldn't need to. I have heard of some people doing so BUT.......it's a *super light* coating, then wipe it lightly w/a paper towel so you don't have too much on there.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 6

I use cornstarch. The only time I don't add cornstarch is when I'm rolling out fondant with tylose. When I frst started I used shortening and you can do it that way, but it's more problematic.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 12:07am
post #4 of 6

I no longer roll on craft store vinyl now that there's a food safe alternative--The Mat by Sweetwise.com.

I definitely condition my Mat with some shortening that I wipe off.  I don't use cornstarch or powdered sugar because both can dry out the fondant and I hate cleaning up the mess [in the kitchen & on the fondant].

MustangMollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustangMollie Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 1:22am
post #5 of 6

AI use a little bit of shortening. I jyst started using a large silicone pastry matt that has a nonslip surface on both sides. It lets me roll fondant out thinner than I've been able to before.

jmullican6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmullican6 Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone!  I can always count on you guys for the help I need!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%