Pricing Cupcakes

Baking By foz17 Updated 8 Oct 2013 , 12:59pm by GoetzJames

foz17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foz17 Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 5

Hey everyone.  So I have an order to make 150 custom made cupcakes, and I have no idea how much I should charge for that.  Any suggestions?  Im still new to all of this, so any help would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks! :) 

PS: I make everything from scratch.

4 replies
melissamakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissamakescakes Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 5

ADepending on the difficulty of the work I usually charge $1-$3 per cupcake. Think about how long it will take you to make them and how much you want to be paid per hour for the work. Hope that helps!

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 5

APeruse the many many many pricing threads on here. Then come back with more specific questions.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 5

You need to figure out how much it will cost you to make each cupcake (how much ingredients cost, cupcake liners, etc)

Then cost for decorations, your time, etc.

Example, My chocolate cupcake recipe, including cupcake liner, and a chocolate buttercream swirl, costs me like 75 cents per cupcake. I sell them for $30 per dozen (and only sell by the dozen), making them $2.50 per cupcake.  If someone wanted detailed designs/decorations, it would be $3.00+ per cupcake.

Cost will also depend on where you live.  I live in Kentucky, so I can't charge $4 per cupcake like Magnolia Bakery in New York City does for just a typical cupcake with a swirl of icing.

You will need to take each of your recipes and do a cost break down, how much does that recipe cost you to produce and how many cupcakes does each recipe make.

Also, take a look at local bakeries and cupcake shops, see what they're charging for a similar product.  If they sell cupcake for $3 each, you don't want to sell yours for $1 each, you don't want to undercut them, you want to compete with them.

GoetzJames Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GoetzJames Posted 8 Oct 2013 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 5

The cost must be depend upon what ingredients you are using to make those cakes.If the ingredients rate are high then depending on that  you should charge good so that you can  get profit.

Know more about it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%