Help! Fast. All My Cakes Are Sticking.

Decorating By whiteangel Updated 27 Sep 2013 , 4:48pm by whiteangel

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 24

Yesterday I made two 10" rounds.  Greased and floured just like I always do.  Stuck to the pan and fell apart.  Both of them.  It was a new recipe so today I went to an old standby and dang it, it stuck and fell apart also.

Help!  Here is the recipe I used:

White cake mix - store brand, same as always and added the ingredients on box plus the following:

1 cup flour plus two tablespoons as I am high altitude

3/4 cup sugar

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 butter

2/3 water

1 tsp coconut flavoring

2 tsp coconut oil

Box called for 3 egg whites, I used whole.

Baked at 325 for 55 mins. 

What do I do?  Never had this happen before and I need this part of the cake done today to get it in the freezer overnight so I can fill and buttercream tomorrow.

Any and all help will be a blessing!!!!!!

23 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 24

AI use pan spray and line my cake pans with parchment. Never had a cake stick to the pan.

whiteangel Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

I use pan spray and line my cake pans with parchment. Never had a cake stick to the pan.

They won't stick with parchment?  I have never needed to do this and have baked tons of cakes.  Almost cried when it happened again today. 

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 24

AParchment has never failed me. Before I started using parchment (years ago), i always had to cross my fingers that a cake would come out of the pan cleanly.

BrandisBaked Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 24

AI have always used parchment - it's what I was taught in culinary school. I only line the bottoms, and if the cake sticks to the sides, it's easy to separate with a knife. The cakes just turn right out without sticking.

I spray the pan, put the parchment in and then depending on the type of cake, I may spritz the parchment too. I never "grease and flour".

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 24

I always use parchment. Cake is money and I hate wasting a dime

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 24

yes.  Cut a circle parchment the same size as the bottom of your pan.  Also remember to spray the sides of your pan.  never fails

whiteangel Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 24

Thank you all so much. 

Never had this happen before.  Yesterday was a scratch cake that was new to me - total failure!

Today was a recipe I have used many times. 

Never have I have any problems with cake sticking using shortening and flour to coat the pans.

I will make it again and use the parchment.  Spray first?

Three 10" cakes is expensive and don't have time for more failures!!!

BrandisBaked Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 24

AI spray first so that the parchment sticks to the pan and doesn't slide around while I'm pouring in my batter. I may or may not spray the other side - depending on the type of cake.

whiteangel Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 24

Again, thank you.  I of course never use spray and only had a little left so just used a little shortening to hold the parchment in place. 

It is in the oven and I have my fingers crossed as I wait to :top hat: what happens.

whiteangel Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 24

Well, I changed something this time and added a little coconut creme, the stuff used for making pina coladas.  1/3 cup to replace a 1/3 of water.

OMG!!!!  After cooking for 50 minutes it began to pour over the sides of the pan.  I put a cookie sheet under it.  10 minutes later, there was fire in my oven.  The batter was still pouring over the sides.  At this point I am laughing so hard that my sides were hurting.  I opened the oven door and smoke billowed out!  Hubby who works from home, came running and he too begins to laugh.  Two fans and the french doors opened.  My neighbor thinks our house is on fire and called me, thankfully she didn't call the fire department.  Not sure I could have stopped laughing long enough to tell them that no, my house wasn't on fire, my cake was on fire!!!! 

I have never caught anything on fire in the oven before.  Honest.  I am actually a pretty good baker but today, was just ONE OF THOSE DAYS!!!!!

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 7:05pm
post #12 of 24

AUgh! I hate those days! I accidentally doubled the sugar in a chocolate cake recipe once, and had a boil over you wouldn't believe... Well, actually, it sounds like you would believe! Hopefully, you can clean everything up, start over, and your cakes will turn out perfect this time. *fingers crossed*

whiteangel Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 7:16pm
post #13 of 24

The oven is in self-cleaning mode at this time.  What a mess.  For a short time just after it started cleaning, there were flames coming from the bottom of the oven.  At least I was able to laugh.  The smoke is almost out of the house now.

Man, I just didn't think about the sugar content of the coconut creme.  Even after an hour of baking, what was left in the pan looked like weird pudding.  Yup, sounds like what you had also!  Sheeeesh.

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 7:25pm
post #14 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteangel 

The oven is in self-cleaning mode at this time.  What a mess.  For a short time just after it started cleaning, there were flames coming from the bottom of the oven.  At least I was able to laugh.  The smoke is almost out of the house now.

Man, I just didn't think about the sugar content of the coconut creme.  Even after an hour of baking, what was left in the pan looked like weird pudding.  Yup, sounds like what you had also!  Sheeeesh.

8O O.M.G..... I have to laugh because I was working bread dough in my home kitchen this past fall and it had to knead for 10 minutes..... I leave the kitchen and come back to the mixer spewing smoke and flames..... DH had to grab it and run it out of the kitchen and I have pictures of my poor mixer sitting in my driveway smoking... ... in these situations you really do just need a solid sense of humor!

whiteangel Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 7:36pm
post #15 of 24

Now that is funny too!  Not so much that you burned your mixer up, just the story. 

bahamabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bahamabread Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 7:55pm
post #16 of 24

I use equal parts flour, veg oil and crisco and mix in in a mixer and just brush it on the pans. I don't let the cakes cool too long in the pans, they might stick. Cool them 10 minutes and turn them out on a rack. 

whiteangel Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 8:03pm
post #17 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamabread 

I use equal parts flour, veg oil and crisco and mix in in a mixer and just brush it on the pans. I don't let the cakes cool too long in the pans, they might stick. Cool them 10 minutes and turn them out on a rack. 

Thank you.  I have always just put a layer of Crisco in pan making sure all the surface was covered and then dusted with flour.  Never ever had a cake stick.  Then with the above disaster, thinking it might be something in the air....it just can't be my fault, lol

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 12:30am
post #18 of 24

I found a tip online years ago and it has NEVER failed.  Grease and flour the old-fashioned way - you can't beat it.  When you take the pan out of the oven, set it on a wet towel.  You'll be able to turn it out of the pan in just about a minute.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 1:54am
post #19 of 24

AOmg!! I love that you can find the humour when there is a fire in your kitchen. I think I would just cry in a corner lol

whiteangel Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 1:56pm
post #20 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgifford 

I found a tip online years ago and it has NEVER failed.  Grease and flour the old-fashioned way - you can't beat it.  When you take the pan out of the oven, set it on a wet towel.  You'll be able to turn it out of the pan in just about a minute.

I do this.  Old fashion way.  I have never set it on a wet towel though, just put a wet cloth over the bottom of the pan after I flipped it.  That is what is weird, never had a problem before until just these last few cakes. 

whiteangel Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 2:12pm
post #21 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennicake 

Omg!! I love that you can find the humour when there is a fire in your kitchen. I think I would just cry in a corner lol

Well, the first one that stuck yesterday morning, did almost cause tears and a bit of a tantrum where I almost threw the pan across the room!  I think the only reason I could laugh was it was IN the oven and not in the open.  Now that might have caused tears, lol!!!

miniflowercake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miniflowercake Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 3:42pm
post #22 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

I spray first so that the parchment sticks to the pan and doesn't slide around while I'm pouring in my batter. I may or may not spray the other side - depending on the type of cake.

I spray the cake pan, put a piece of wax paper in the bottom and then spray it again with spray grease and I haven't had a cake stick yet. (I am a spray grease maniac, and I coat it very well with spray grease! :lol:

BrandisBaked Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 3:54pm
post #23 of 24

AParchment and pan spray are the two most valuable tools in my kitchen. :-D

whiteangel Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 4:48pm
post #24 of 24

Thank you girls!!!!!!!  What a nightmare yesterday was!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%