Wedding Cake Storage Help-Newbie

Decorating By ashleyreneross Updated 24 Sep 2013 , 11:25pm by ashleyreneross

ashleyreneross Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 6

Hello, newbie here...

I am making my own wedding cake. I have made a few practice ones and I worked in a cake shop for 6 years so I am pretty confidant, especially because this is my own cake, not for someone else.

I am making a three tier cake, 2 layers per tier. I am going to use the WASC recipe. My cake will be very simple. I am either going to leave it smooth or run my spatula around it. My theme is rustic and this stuff seems popular right now. Anyways, my point is I don't need to do a lot of decorating before set up. I may add some ribbon and silk flowers. Doesn't really matter.

This is my plan, can someone please tell me if this is the best thing to do?

Wed & Thursday: bake the layers, level them if needed and freeze them. The way I did my practice ones....let cool in pans about 10 minutes and wrap 2-3 times in saran wrap and freeze.

Friday: Crumb coat and then finally ice them. I have not decided if I am doing a filling yet, but probably not. I am using the IndyDebi icing. Can this just sit out on my counter? Do I need to sit something like a box over it?

Saturday: take each tier (each in its own box) to my venue (a family lake house) and stack them on site and add any embellishments, if any. My wedding is not until 5:45 p.m so I will not be in a huge rush. The reception will begin around 6 and it is very casual and relaxed. It will be October so shouldn't have to worry about heat, etc and it will be under a tent.

So...is this a good plan, or should I decorate the day of? It won't me take long.

Advice?

5 replies
klan30 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 6

I would adjust your time line so you complete the cake Friday.  Stack it and decorate it Friday.  You do not want to have to mess with a cake on the day of your wedding!

ashleyreneross Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 6

ASo I just leave it sitting out overnight? Thanks for the reply by the way. :)

klan30 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 6

You can leave it out over night as long as none of your frostings or fillings need refrigeration.  However, I find it much easier to transport a chilled cake.

kakeladi Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 6

Your plan is rather well thought out.  The only thing I would suggest is that you bake earlier to take some of the pressure off.  If anything goes wrong in the baking you will have a bit of extra time for correct it/re-bake.  If  you have the fzr space you can bake now.  The cakes will hold up just fine until needed.  Once they are cooled  & wrapped, put them in a cake box to further protect them from getting warped, crushed or otherwise harmed.

ashleyreneross Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 6

AThanks so much guys. I wasn't sure if I'd end up with a stale cake but seems like my way is okay. And good idea to bake earlier. I can do that. Thanks again :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%