Getting Licensed

Business By MeSasa1978 Updated 24 Sep 2013 , 12:22am by howsweet

MeSasa1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeSasa1978 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 5

Hi! I'm really trying to go about this the right way and get licensed. I live in Akron, Ohio, and I am currently planning to work out of my home.

I've been giving my stuff away (or close enough -- everyone knows I'm still learning my craft), and if I'm going to start charging for my work, I need a licensed kitchen and all that goes with it.

I've never been in the position to own a business, so I'm hoping you guys may have some suggestions.

My kitchen is a small, typical kitchen. I don't have the 3 compartment sink, but I do sanitize my equipment. I wear foodservice gloves and a bandanna (the closest you'll ever get me to a hairnet) over my very short hair. I have 2 dogs, but they're outside and the kitchen is meticulously broomed before I work on anything.

I've contacted my health department, and they gave me the runaround to a dead end, so I'm starting over with them. I'm really anxious to get this party started.

So my question is what am I missing? Do I need to apply for an EIN as self-employed, or is that unnecessary? I don't anticipate making a ton of money since I'll probably never do more than a cake a week (unless something amazing happens and I get enough work coming in to quit my day job -- not for a LONG time, if ever!). I just want to make sure I dot all my i's and cross all my t's.

Thanks, all!

4 replies
howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 5

Don't know how correct his is and there must be other resources http://cottagefoods.org/laws/usa/ohio/ Doesn't really sound that difficult unless you're selling cream pies or something that nerds refrigeration

howsweet Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 5

Was that you on the other thread saying  your health dept referred you to the state of Utah? The health depts are often at odds with the cottage food law and don't think it should exist.

MeSasa1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeSasa1978 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 12:07am
post #4 of 5

AYes! And thank you so, so much! I'm excited to get started.

howsweet Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 12:22am
post #5 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeSasa1978 

Yes! And thank you so, so much! I'm excited to get started.

Sorry, it sounded like to me you were home baking for some reason and I was just afraid it would mislead someone. Congratulations!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%