Decorating By EmiliaK Updated 23 Sep 2013 , 6:26pm by EmiliaK

EmiliaK Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 6

I have a recipe of fruitcake that asks for almond paste.  You bake the fruitcake, age it and when it is time to serve it, roll almond paste out with the help of a rolling pin, cut it the size of the cake, place on top of it and ice it with royal icing or something like that.  The problem is I only find canned almond paste and it is gooey and can't be rolled out with a pin.  Does anyone know a brand of almond paste that can be rolled out?  Thank you for your help!

5 replies
melmar02 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 6

AMaybe they meant marzipan?

lindseyjhills Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 6


Original message sent by melmar02

Maybe they meant marzipan?

Yes, if it is a British recipe then it is marzipan (which it sounds like it is). In the UK almond paste and marzipan are the same thing.

EmiliaK Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 6

That is what I thought--sorry about my ignorance, but English is not my mother tongue, so sometimes I get really confused..  Nevertheless, I am not sure what marzipan to buy, since I've never tried it in the US.  Any suggestion?

lindseyjhills Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 6

ANo problem, not ignorance on your part at all! Just different products with the same name :) I'm afraid I can't help with telling you a brand of marzipan in the US as I live in the UK. One tip I have is though is if you do royal ice the cake, it is best to leave the marzipan to 'set' for a day or two before adding the royal icing. This prevents the oils in the almonds from leaking through and staining the royal icing. Good luck - traditional fruit cake is my favourite, we eat it here at Christmas! :D

EmiliaK Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for your help!  I had no idea marzipan could "leak"!  Leaving and learning--which is wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%