Sharp Edges On Fruitcake Without Almond Icing?

Decorating By cazza1 Updated 23 Sep 2013 , 1:54pm by cazza1

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 10:50am
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know how to get a sharp edge on a fondant covered fruitcake without resorting to putting on almond icing or royal icing? And no, I cannot ice it with buttercream or ganache first either as they would make my fruitcake taste disgusting.

5 replies
cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 11:55am
post #2 of 6

ACan you ice it twice?

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 6

Traditional fruit cakes have marzipan that is worked like fondant to fill and smooth the cake. 

However, you could just do two layers of fondant to get an ultra fine finish.  The first layer would use a well worked fondant to fill holes and gaps.  The second layer would be your traditional final layer of fondant.

cazza1 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 6

I have used two layers of fondant before but I  still do not seem to be able to get that nice crisp top edge that you get with ganache etc.on other styles of cakes.  It seems to want to round slightly on the edge.  As I want to make square presents and boxes for my Christmas cake I need a really sharp edge or it will look wrong.  Ant other suggestions?

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 6

Options:

1. Level the cake.  Cover in fondant.

2.  Try this method.  It is for marzipan, but would work equally well for fondant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/techniques/marzipan_fruit_cake

cazza1 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks, that is the method that I was going to use if I had to resort to marzipan, which is stiffer than fondant.  Have you tried it with fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%