Using Hr Shortening

Decorating By lynne7583 Updated 23 Sep 2013 , 8:08pm by ddaigle

lynne7583 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 5

This will be my first time using it. In the past I have used 1/2 cup crisco 1/2 cup butter 4 cups powder sugar. 

Should I use all High Ratio in my buttercream or HR and Butter? What are the differences in your opinion? Would my buttercream crust just using HR?:-? 

4 replies
darkchocolate Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 5

I use 2C high ratio shortening with 2# of powdered sugar.  Especially in the summer because I live in the south.  Yes, it does crust.  I also have used 1 C butter and 1 C high ratio shortening, but I usually only do that during the cooler months.

If you use a combination of butter and high ratio shortening you will notice that your frosting isn't as white as if you used only high ratio shortening.

lynne7583 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 5

So using half butter really serves no tasteful purpose?

darkchocolate Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 5

Sure it does, but it all comes down to personal preference.   I think it also depends on the recipe you use.  I use a little salt with mine and usually all almond extract.  I have also used a combination of almond and vanilla extract or vanilla alone.

I have a chocolate frosting I love that uses both high ratio and butter in equal amounts, but it isn't a crusting recipe.

ddaigle Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 5

Same here...I use only HR shortening for my white BC...but I use equal parts of HR shortening & butter with my chocolate BC.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%