Fondant Is Cracked - Help Asap Please - Party In 3 Hours!!!

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 27 Sep 2013 , 2:24am by cakeballer85

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 19

Help!!!  I did a cake for a baby shower that's in 3 hours and the fondant has cracked. How can I fix this? I was thinking I could pipe some royal icing on it, let it dry, then somehow sand it flat?? Any other ideas? Thanks!

18 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by annakat444 

Help!!!  I did a cake for a baby shower that's in 3 hours and the fondant has cracked. How can I fix this? I was thinking I could pipe some royal icing on it, let it dry, then somehow sand it flat?? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Take a bit of extra fondant, the same color as the cracked fondant. Combine it with a little water to make a sludge, spackle over the crack and smooth and rub it in. HTH

annakat444 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 19

Thank you - what do you mean by "sludge"? Just mix enough water to make it sticky?

sixinarow Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:

Thank you - what do you mean by "sludge"? Just mix enough water to make it sticky?

Not just sticky, more like a thick glue or paste consistency. So that you can spread it over the crack and rub it in.

annakat444 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 19

Amazing!!! I didn't know I could do that!!! Thank you SO much! I can breathe now :smile:

annakat444 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 19

AJust wanted to thank you again! Worked like a charm! I really owe you big time, thank you so so much!!!

Now to figure out why this happened in the first place so it doesn't happen again. What causes fondant to crack? Air bubbles? The cake settling? It had dowels all in it but still looked settled after sitting overnight.

sixinarow Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 19

Quote:

Just wanted to thank you again! Worked like a charm! I really owe you big time, thank you so so much!!!

Now to figure out why this happened in the first place so it doesn't happen again. What causes fondant to crack? Air bubbles? The cake settling? It had dowels all in it but still looked settled after sitting overnight.

;-DGood! Glad you were able to repair it. Where on the cake was the crack, walk through the process you used from baking, filling..ect and maybe I (or someone else) can help figure out what caused the cracking.

annakat444 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 12:03am
post #8 of 19

Ok, I'll walk you through the process. Sorry this will probably get lengthy!

The recipe I used calls for: all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, eggs, coffee, chocolate, sour cream, oil, vanilla. I made 2 8" tiers (so 4 8" cakes total - I wanted the bottom to be really tall) and stored them in the freezer this past week. I made american buttercream (1c butter, 1/2c milk, 2lb ps, 2tsp vanilla) and filled them after taking them out of the freezer and leveling. I always make sure not to overfill so that there won't be a bulge. After the 2nd 8" layer I put in 4 wooden dowels and put a board on top. Then filled and stacked the remaining two 8" layers. After all four layers were filled and stacked I crumb coated the entire thing and put in the fridge for about 30 minutes to set up. Once set, I covered doweled the top 8" tier (I used 4 wooden dowels again) and covered the cake in fondant (I used pettinice) and decorated. I do think I rolled the fondant too thin (because I needed it to be so big) which I'm sure contributed to my problem. After I decorated the bottom, I repeated the process with the 6" tier (which was two 6" cakes). I put royal icing  under the 6" tier to secure it to the bottom tiers and then stacked it.

I did not refrigerate the cake after I finished it. I don't do that with any of my cakes, and coincidentally ALL of my cakes look settled the next day regardless of if I'm using fondant or buttercream, or what type of dowels I'm using or how many dowels I used. My cakes are always cute but I really want them to have the clean polished professional look and they never do. They always just look slightly settled, or sunken in, the next day. I thought dowels would prevent this!

Also, the main location of the crack was around the middle of the bottom tier where the board was. There were a few minor cracks on the top of the bottom tier around the edge, but the really bad cracks were right by the board. If there's a way to post a picture to this thread I will but not sure if there is?

Thanks again for your help, I don't know what I'd do without everyone here! Being self-taught is so frustrating sometimes because every cake seems to be a big learning experience!

annakat444 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 12:19am
post #9 of 19

sixinarow Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 1:14am
post #10 of 19

AI can't open your pic on my phone, but from what you describe, it sounds like you need to settle your cake before you crumb coat. After you fill the cake, wrap lightly in plastic and put a book (I use a 6" ceramic tile recommended by leah_s) on top &I let sit a couple hours. Then you can crumb coat & cover w fondant. Your dowels won't help the cake from settling, they only help transfer the additional weight from the top tier from crushing the bottom tier. Maybe someone else will add on to this, but I think settling is the cause.

annakat444 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 1:28am
post #11 of 19

AExcellent. I'll start doing that. Does it need to be refrigerated while its settling? Also, do you think the fact that I haven't been refrigerating after its finished has anything to do with it?

sixinarow Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 1:32am
post #12 of 19

Quote:

Excellent. I'll start doing that. Does it need to be refrigerated while its settling? Also, do you think the fact that I haven't been refrigerating after its finished has anything to do with it?

No, just leave it on your counter while it settles. Not being refrigerated doesn't have anything to do with the cracking. Hope it works for you on your next cake!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 19

AYour cake will not settle while its refrigerated. Also, did you say that you stack tiers *before* crumbcoating?

annakat444 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 1:09am
post #14 of 19

leah_s, sorry if I was confusing - normally NO i would never stack before crumbcoating! That'd be pretty difficult! But for the cake this past weekend since it was double barreled I filled and stacked, and once it was was completely stacked then I crumbcoated (just the double-barreled bottom tier). I crumbcoated the 6" tier separately and stacked after it was decorated.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 1:48am
post #15 of 19

AYes, the fridge won't settle your cake. I leave mine overnight or use Leah's tile method if I'm in a hurry, for at least 6hrs (maybe some do it for less time).

It doesn't really need to go in the fridge (unless the filling is perishable). I will pull mine in and out if I'm trying to get my icing to setup.

Depending on the fondant you use and the decorations when doing a double barrel or extended tier cake you can wrap the fondant around and blend the seems, if that's easier (this has nothing to do with settling just a tip). I wouldn't have thought to 'spackle' it, clever. Other then that you pretty much have to rip the fondant off and redo to fix it.

annakat444 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 3:33am
post #16 of 19

ASo can I refrigerate a cake that's covered in fondant? I've heard yes and no. I live in a very humid climate and want to be sure the cake won't sweat.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 4:17am
post #17 of 19

A

Original message sent by annakat444

So can I refrigerate a cake that's covered in fondant? I've heard yes and no. I live in a very humid climate and want to be sure the cake won't sweat.

Every cake, every time. It's pretty dry here though, but it can be humid. I aim a fan at it to dry it up as best as possible, and keep it in a catdboard box in the fridge to attract most of the condensation. Just have to be careful.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 11:13am
post #18 of 19

ALike AZ, every cake every time. I'm in humid Charleston, SC.

cakeballer85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeballer85 Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 2:24am
post #19 of 19

Aliving on the gulf coast I never refrigerate fondant of any kind....the humidity here destroys it once its pulled out...but I have heard some brands of fondant hold up better than others...I use mmf and it just doesn't work out for me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%