Problems With Wilton Pans

Decorating By vianrey Updated 23 Sep 2013 , 11:54pm by Cakespirations

vianrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vianrey Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 1:24am
post #1 of 29

AHello everyone, I'm just really curious to know if I'm the only one having problems with the wilton pans or if their is anyone that feels the way I do about them LOL. Ok every time I bake the cake and I let make cake cool after I take it out of the pan into the board they look wider on bottom and smaller on top,(does that make sense??) which makes it very hard to ice neatly , but anyway if anyone has this problem or a solution pls reply!!! Thanks

28 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 4:27am
post #2 of 29

It depends on what Wilton pans you're buying/using. 

The pans that come in nested sets-- round, square, oval, paisley, hexagon, petal--are all straight sided. If they're 9" at the top, they're 9" at the bottom.

Wilton does sell some single pans that have slightly slanted sides \_____/.  They're generally used for single layer cakes.

Now, if you're using the straight sided pans and having this problem, it sounds like you're getting a lot of shrinkage and may be over baking.

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 4:30am
post #3 of 29

I just have to trim them a tad bit. Or more frosting :)

johannececile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johannececile Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 4:35am
post #4 of 29

I have nearly all the Wilton pans and do not have any problem.

Maybe your cakes are left in the oven too long or the heat is too

high and they shrink.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 4:42am
post #5 of 29

She has different ones. Like Smitty said, just trim them.

Wilton products are not known for being the best in general. Their brand is to entice inexperienced bakers into  buying of lot of expensive nonsense products that seem intuitively logical to someone who doesn't know a whole lot about cake decorating. I'm not saying everything they sell is awful... ok maybe I am. :lol:

Wilton products I've bought that I still use:

cookie cutters

fondant smoother

pearl dusts, because they're edible

ball pan

There may be something else, but that's all I could think of. The list of their stuff I've bought and use no more is much longer

smittyditty Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 4:45am
post #6 of 29

The pans that are straight that I have are the professional ones and I LOVE them the ones that \____/ I hate they tend to burn on the edges even with stripes. I don't even have to use the bake stripes with the straight ones.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 29

AAfter having dealt with the same problems with my Wilton pans I switched to magic line for round cake and fat daddio for squares! That solved my issues.

vianrey Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 29

AOk now I understand I don't think I have the straight edge one bc I buy them at Michaels and I have a 9 in. Set of wilton pans and those work perfect I just thought it was weird how some weren't turning out right and some were even though they were the same brand LOL

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 29

AEven so, you ice to the shape of your cake board anyways, so technically you can put a square cake on a round cardboard and end up with a perfectly iced round cake. Extreme description, but as long as your cake is neatly contained within the edges of your board, with enough room for a generous layer of outer icing...you're good to go. Slight slant or not.

T-CreativeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T-CreativeCakes Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 10:36pm
post #10 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Even so, you ice to the shape of your cake board anyways, so technically you can put a square cake on a round cardboard and end up with a perfectly iced round cake. Extreme description, but as long as your cake is neatly contained within the edges of your board, with enough room for a generous layer of outer icing...you're good to go. Slight slant or not.

I've done that many times.  Not the square cake on a round board :) , but evened out differences in the cake by adding extra icing where need be. When I first started making cakes I was using my grandmothers cake pans...50+ years of use and they got a little out of shape.

vianrey Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 10:50pm
post #11 of 29

ASo AZcoture what brand of pans do you use?

AZCouture Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 29

AAll Magic Line.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 11:25pm
post #13 of 29

Oh no, the Wilton pans suck, I have the square set and they are NOT straight. Neither are my round set but they are not as bad as the square. The older wilton pans are, got some at a garage sale, but the ones I bought in the last few years, not straight. I have a set of square and round that I bought used that I'd rather use than Wilton. I recently had a wedding cake that needed a 16" tier. I only have that in wilton. Believe me, I remembered why I hate them. And yeah you can ice over it but why make extra work for yourself.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 12:15am
post #14 of 29

AI have some of the Wilton straight sided round pans and run in to the same problem at times. I've found it is related to his long they bake and how long you let the cool in the pan before removing. I only let them cool for 10 minutes before removing and am careful to not bake too far beyond when the cake starts pulling away from the sides. I can get straight sided cakes from these pans, so I know it's not just the angle.

AZCouture Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 12:47am
post #15 of 29

AExactly, the slant should have no.bearing whatsoever on the final shape of the cake.

johannececile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johannececile Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 1:44am
post #16 of 29

WOW. You really don't like Wilton do you!

Not  everyone has money to buy all the really expensive things

that other companies sell.

Wilton has been around for over 60 years, they

must be doing something right!

RubinaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubinaD Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 2:25am
post #17 of 29

I have only wiltons pans, square and round. If the pans nest into each other there is a slight tilt to accommodate for that, if it doesn't then the pans go straight up. I have used the same pans for 8 years, and have never had an issue with them. everyone has their favourites.

AZCouture Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 2:42am
post #18 of 29

AWell that's a little dramatic. I was glad to be rid of the Wilton pans once Magic Line.was recommended to me years ago, and the difference is really noticeable. That said, I love my Wilton rolling pin, their gum paste when I don't make my own or buy Satin Ice, and the pearl dust.

smittyditty Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 3:01am
post #19 of 29

My \____/ slant pans I threw out once I got the professional Wilton pans. I'm not saying they are my favorite I'd have to try others out there. However the difference just between the professional and regular was enough for me to throw the others away..lol I trimmed merely for visual effect when cutting the cake. The side was straight looking when cut into.

vianrey Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 1:36pm
post #20 of 29

AWell I might just buy me a set of magic line and try them out to sew which ones I like better

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 2:51pm
post #21 of 29

MagicLine all the way.  I too started out with the Wilton ones but changed over as soon as I could afford it & have never looked back. Honestly they are worth every penny.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 3:07pm
post #22 of 29

AMy mother has (had, because I took 'em!) Magic Line pans when she did cakes 30 years ago. I have some Wilton, and mostly Magic Line. I just plain don't like the Wilton pans. They bake differently on the edges because they are either dark coated, or so thin. The Magic Line are thicker, and seem to bake more evenly. They also haven't rusted like Wilton pans, and seem more stable. Well worth mom's investment!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 3:09pm
post #23 of 29

Magic Line and Fat Daddio are just far superior pans to Wilton.    I have all 3 brands.   Wilton was probably the first guy out the gate with pans 60 years ago and there was nothing to compare it to.   I do not want to build up butter cream to get my  \__/ shaped cakes to look straight.    If you shop around, or have a business account, ML & FD pans can be found very reasonably priced.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 3:50pm
post #24 of 29

AI bought my magic line pans on amazon and they were only a couple dollars more than Wilton's with free shipping.

I'm with ddaigle, I don't want to have to 'fix' my wonky layers with BC every time I make a cake!

smittyditty Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 9:55pm
post #25 of 29

I just bought a Fat daddios 4 inch pan I'll see how it compares. Which do you all think is better FD or ML?

maybenot Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 10:19pm
post #26 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittyditty 

I just bought a Fat daddios 4 inch pan I'll see how it compares. Which do you all think is better FD or ML?

I prefer ML, Wilton Decorator Preferred, or Lloyds professional pans [lloydspans.com] because some people have FD pans to be finicky about oven temps.

smittyditty Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 11:37pm
post #27 of 29

Good to know thanks Maybenot. At least its a size I hope to discourage ever using again! lol

maybenot Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 11:42pm
post #28 of 29

Oh, I hear you--I hate decorating 4" cakes!  Too much trouble to be worth it, really.  I use mine primarily for smash cakes or leftover batter for sample flavors--but I only bake them 2"-3" tall.

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 11:54pm
post #29 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Even so, you ice to the shape of your cake board anyways, so technically you can put a square cake on a round cardboard and end up with a perfectly iced round cake. Extreme description, but as long as your cake is neatly contained within the edges of your board, with enough room for a generous layer of outer icing...you're good to go. Slight slant or not.

^ Exactly.

I use only two brands. American MetalCraft and Fat Daddio. In addition if anyone told me I had to choose between the two I would never give up my AMC's pans ever. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%