Military Service Ribbon Cookie Approach

Baking By bnsbrown Updated 28 Sep 2013 , 6:27pm by letsgetcaking

bnsbrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bnsbrown Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 12:20am
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to do cookies that replicate military service ribbons. This is an example. The cookie will be a 1x4 rectangle but I'm not sure to approach the color stripe part.  I would like to do fondant to have clean lines but we are talking small strips; I'm not sure I could work that fast on a hot cookie. Would you do colored fondant strips for white fondant painted each color? Any suggestions to an approach would be very appreciated.5628__orig.jpg 

4 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 5

If it were me, I think I would roll out a long piece of yellow fondant. Then I would cut long strips of green fondant (different widths to match the ribbon), then carefully lay those on top of the yellow fondant (spaced out according to the ribbon). Then, carefully use a rolling pin to roll the green into the yellow fondant. Be careful as you roll (straight up and down the lines) so you don't stretch or skew the stripes. Then you should be able to cut out a bunch of uniform 1x4" rectangles quickly. I don't know if I explained that very well. It's similar to this technique I used to make a striped fondant bow:

http://letsgetcaking.blogspot.com/2013/09/disaster-avoidance-fading-colors.html

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 5

I recently did a number of service ribbon cookies for a Vietnam Veterans reunion. I just did them if glace icing and found they went pretty quick. I think the fondant will look really nice!

bnsbrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bnsbrown Posted 27 Sep 2013 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 5

Athanks for the tips! i prerolled a fondant base then added strips then put on the hot cookie, which worked well.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 28 Sep 2013 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 5

Awesome! Do you have pics? I'd love to see them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%