Help With My Fondant, It Immediately Sweat

Decorating By carola cakes Updated 24 Sep 2013 , 2:34am by cakeballer85

carola cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carola cakes Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone, 
I have read several useful comments here about sweating fondant (Thank you!), and yesterday I finally thought I have done everything right, according to what I read. I stick my frosted cake (with buttercream) in the fridge for several hours until I needed to cover it in fondant (so I can avoid to refrigerate it before the event) and when the time came, I started covering the cake and it hadn't pass more than 15 minutes and it start sweating :eek:! OMG! Didn't stop sweating with a fan or leaving it at room temp. I live near pacific coast, so the humidity and hot weather here is high. I don't know what else I can do to keeping my cakes from sweating or melting, I also have tried to add CMC to the fondant I use to cover cakes, and it helps, but not much. I hope someone can help me with this issue.

13 replies
cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 14

AThe cake was too cold when you started covering it in fondant.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 4:32am
post #3 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakemaker 

The cake was too cold when you started covering it in fondant.

Yep.

Cake in fridge for 10 mins. before covering fondant=little or no sweating.

Cake in fridge for hours before covering in fondant=LOTS of sweating.

carola cakes Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 14

AOhhh... Thanks! So, what can I do to keeping my frosting from melting and keeping my fondant from sweating? This hot weather is driving me crazy. Is there any good frosting (buttercream ir not) that I can use in stead of Classic buttercream so my cake stop melting and move with the heat?

cupcakemaker Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 14

AAre you using a butter based buttercream? I'm the uk so don't really have those issues.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 14

What brand of fondant did you use? I used satin ice for years with cakes straight from the frig, no problems ever.  But lately since Satin Ice apparently changed their recipe = wet fondant. My cakes no longer have the perfect finish they used to have. I had to even completely redo and redesign a cake this weekend because the Satin Ice was too difficult to handle because it had been raining all day. That was the nail in the coffin for me.

carola cakes Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 14

Hi cupcakesmaker, I'm using a butter/shortening based butter cream, I use 50%-50% when hot weather (it helps to keeping my frosting from melting to quick, and after stick it in the fridge for a few hours it holds its shape for longer than a 100% butter based buttercream ;-)). Hi howsweet! I use homemade fondant (Wilton's Rolled Fondant Recipe). I have never use any brand of fondant, mine works fine, but when a rainy day it also gets tricky to manipulate, so I add a little CMC to it, the problem comes when refrigerate it :/ . I've been searching like crazy for some frosting recipes that don't need refrigeration, but I'm not quiet sure if it holds its shape good. Have anyone try "Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting" (http://cakecentral.com/recipe/wedding-crusting-cream-cheese-frosting) with a 100% shortening? I found this recipe, haven't try it yet.

howsweet Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 14

Well, sorry, I don't know how one would expect that to perform - the Satin ice used to go on like a dream. I may be having to start making it myself if I can't come up with another brand I like.

Are you sure the icings you use now require refrigeration?

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 14

Satin Ice hasn't changed their recipe.  I spoke to them recently by phone.  No changes.  
They are a very nice company. If you call them with the batch number they are always there to listen.  I do not work for the company. I have just had a lot of luck with their product

howsweet Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 6:22pm
post #10 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynne3 

Satin Ice hasn't changed their recipe.  I spoke to them recently by phone.  No changes.  
They are a very nice company. If you call them with the batch number they are always there to listen.  I do not work for the company. I have just had a lot of luck with their product

Why did you call them to ask?

Cakespirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakespirations Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

What brand of fondant did you use? I used satin ice for years with cakes straight from the frig, no problems ever.  But lately since Satin Ice apparently changed their recipe = wet fondant. My cakes no longer have the perfect finish they used to have. I had to even completely redo and redesign a cake this weekend because the Satin Ice was too difficult to handle because it had been raining all day. That was the nail in the coffin for me.

I don't mean to hijack the post but I agree. I think something has changed. the last few buckets I have gotten have been so soft I barely could work with it.

howsweet Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 6:42pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakespirations 

I don't mean to hijack the post but I agree. I think something has changed. the last few buckets I have gotten have been so soft I barely could work with it.

I started a thread about it a while back and didn't get much response.  Here it is, if you'd like to post there, you are welcome to do so!  The way I state the problem may be a bit strong so if anyone wanted to start a thread, I would definitely contribute on it. After being unable to reach them, they finally sent me a pm and said they'd be in touch.

Would you mind posting your batch numbers if you still have them? The worst buckets I got were from batch 3062004 - I'm pretty sure there was definitely something wrong with that batch. My rep contacted Satin ice and they are going to give me one free bucket. (even I bought 3 from that batch).

cupcakemaker Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 7:20pm
post #13 of 14

AI wouldn't have thought shortening would set that well? I use 1:2 butter and icing sugar.

cakeballer85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeballer85 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 2:34am
post #14 of 14

AI used to use a 50/50 mix butter to shortening but my cakes were melting (I live on gulf coast so heat and humidity are a constant) Now I use all crisco recipe (Indydebi) and none of my cakes melt anymore...butter just doesnt hold for me down here

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%