Friday Night Cake Club For 9/20/13

Decorating By catlharper Updated 25 Sep 2013 , 5:22pm by cakealicious7

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 2:37am
post #1 of 37

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome here to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can! 

Cat

36 replies
catlharper Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 2:39am
post #2 of 37

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to enjoy my "break" time but I have to admit I'm rather bored<G>. Here is a photo of the mini cake that I made last week for my boys. They were very happy that, for once, I was baking for them! LOL!

Hope everyone had a great week!!

Cat

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 3:27am
post #3 of 37

Cute cake, Cat. I love little cakes, they're just charming.

I've had a horrible week at work...lots of changes there and a job I've always loved is turning in the other direction. Each day leaves me sad, stressed, and frustrated. Sorry, didn't mean to have a pity party.

I am working on my daughter's birthday cake. Tonight I torted, filled, carved, and crumbcoated the tiers. It's going to be small (7", 5") with slightly tapered tiers. I had considered trying a topsy turvy but chickened out that the last minute. Last year her cake was a disaster and I don't want a repeat :D .

I've been playing with gardenias off and on this week, too. Had to put them aside for now, though.

Happy caking, everyone!

catlharper Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 3:36am
post #4 of 37

There are definitely times when I seriously consider taking an office job and forgetting this whole cake/party thing. But I love the freedom I have most of the year to be there for our son. I really hate all the paperwork/billing crap. It can seem to get all mucked up in those details. 

Thanks for the kind words on the mini cake. I'm going to be doing another one this upcoming week for a series on the Blog. I figure the mini cakes are appreciated by my boys and they give me something to chat about on the Blog...win/win so to speak. 

Funny thing tho...I have only a few clients in the next 3 months so I have some really open weekends. So why are the potential clients only calling me about the weekends I already have booked??? I hate saying no...really really hate saying no...and it seems to be all I've been able to say to clients for the past two weeks. 

Anyways, hope the birthday cake turns out perfectly!!!

Cat

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 3:46am
post #5 of 37

AHi!! It's been forever since I've been up on a Friday night working. I made a 3 tier rustic finished wedding cake for a friend's backyard wedding tomorrow. The budget was tight, and I'm doing the catering too. I molded chocolate leaves and acorns for the decos. They are supposed to have a slice of tree trunk for the cake stand. :: waves ::

catlharper Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 3:59am
post #6 of 37

Leah! I haven't seen you here in ages! I do hope that all is going well with your truck!! The cake you are working on now sounds just beautiful. Lovely to have you here tonight!

Cat

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 4:00am
post #7 of 37

AI love the mini cake!

I'm working on my husband's birthday cake for Sunday. I tried out Toba Garrett's Lemon Coconut Cake and used cake flour for the first time, the cake was kind of a disaster. I think it was because I baked it in 3 6 inch pans instead of 2 8 inch pans, and it was too much batter.

I also started some sugar flowers, hydrangeas and some other pointy 5 petal things I made up!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 4:26am
post #8 of 37

Good evening all,

Cat very nice mini cake.

Leah!  Haven't seen you around these parts for some time.  Guess that happens when we move up the ladder, lol jk  glad to have you with us tonight.  Would love to see your cake.

Well since I'm writing on this post, I survived the cop test.  My cake for Tues was a huge success.  I had so much fun with it that I am in love with carving cakes.  I have seen far better in technique but for my first one, I was very well pleased and so was the entire police station.

I have another minion cake for tomorrow and 2 small 8" cakes.  Hoping I get to play with my new cake stand I got from Batter up.  She is a gem and I am floored with the stand and its quality.

Here's the cake.  Sosrry felt I needed to post it with the person for you to really understand.

catlharper Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 4:34am
post #9 of 37

Ginn! That turned out GREAT! The guest of honor seems really pleased too! 

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 5:20am
post #10 of 37

Goodnight everyone! It's been busy, before I go to bed I thought I'd check in.  So far over 300 cupcakes, 4 cakes down and 2 to go. I think the adrenaline has me hyped. This is the first week I've had a baking partner. It's been great, I love having company while baking and decorating. I'll post pictures tomorrow. It's been a mix of things from 1st birthday's, to a kid's gym open house, to baby showers. 

Hope your nights go smoothly!

manicgeisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manicgeisha Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 5:20am
post #11 of 37

Aunt Ginn-Sweet cake!

Cat- I`ve been told I don`t bake my family enough cakes anymore...you know just 2 a month for a family of 4 including myself.  Hahah!  They always want cake, and we almost always part take in any other cakes I make.   I have no idea how they never get sick of it!

Up late working on another cake this time a new twist on my first ever cake (the sort of slapped together mushroom-y wedding cake).   Sort of feeling burnt out, but have 2 cakes to make in the next...5 days.  and I haven`t even started on the second cake`s topper.  UGH!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 9:22am
post #12 of 37

Hi everyone.  Aunt Gin I would be stoked if that was my first attempt at a person.  The resemblance is so obvious.

I spent the week practicing hydrangeas as I was demonstrating them at my monthly cake decorating group today.  No-one else had made them before and even though they are relatively simple everyone was pleased to see something new.  I can be a reasonably good teacher when I set my mind to it and had set everything out in clear steps for the beginners.  I also had dry centers for everyone, as well, so they could take home finished flowers to copy.  I think the old regulars of the group were just ecstatic to have someone else help out with the demonstrating.  This was my first go.

RuthiePearl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RuthiePearl Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 2:08pm
post #13 of 37

ACat, I love little cakes, adorable! Auntginn, awesome cake!!

I made my son's birthday cake this week. He knew exactly what he wanted and even drew me a picture to look at while making that cake haha. I'm afraid I created a cake monster :) He absolutely loved his cake!

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3105055/width/200/height/400[/IMG] [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3105057/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

catlharper Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 3:44pm
post #14 of 37

Good morning everyone!

Tdove! Oh my goodness are you BUSY!!! Hope you get a break soon that doesn't include just sleeping! LOL!

Manic: I have no idea how they don't get sick of it either. Other than tasting the cake top to make sure it tasted ok, I didn't have any of the mini cake. 

Cazza, I did hydrangeas once for a Bridal Shower cake and while I was very happy with how they turned out they are just so many of those little flowers to do! Wow! Simple but just so many.

Ruthie!!!! LOVE your cake! Oh my goodness is that cool! My son, who is 12, would love that one! And your son is just beaming!

I'm off to baseball this morning...hoping the rain holds off till we get done and back home! Have a great weekend everyone (and for those of you "down under" have a great Sunday!)

Cat

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 6:15pm
post #15 of 37

I just finished my Halloween cake dummy last night

Sand by Batter Up Cake Co, LLC http://www.norfolkbatterupcake.com/hand-crafted-cake-stands.html

Working on my dragon cake

And tons of other stuff. I have my photo shoot for my cake stands on Monday. Paid my vendor fee for the Great American Cake show and still deciding how to decorate the booth. I wanted to do Halloween but more people than not say no...Started m check out from the Navy and getting ready for school....

catlharper Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 10:45pm
post #16 of 37

BatterUp: VERY cute Halloween cake. The Dragon cake is throwing me by the shape! LOL! Can't wait to see what it becomes!  As for the booth...I'd go for "elegant" and just make a "Halloween corner" so to speak.

Well, today was going well till one of my friends found my Cat logo on some pottery at a pottery faire she is at today. SIGH. As a copyrighted image they don't have the right to even make the stuff much less sell it. My friend is informing them now and asking that all pottery be removed for sale and that I will be contacting them on where to go from here. At this point they need to either turn all of it over to me or destroy it. WHY do people feel like they can do this? The one place I use my logo is on Facebook and there is a CLEAR copyright symbol on it! UGH. Hope they are at least shameful about it and this all goes smoothly. I always hand draw all of my own work just to make sure that no one can come back on me about it...why couldn't they? 

Ok, enough whining. Hope you guys are having a better day!

Cat

BatterUpCake Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 11:11pm
post #17 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by catlharper 

BatterUp: VERY cute Halloween cake. The Dragon cake is throwing me by the shape! LOL! Can't wait to see what it becomes!  As for the booth...I'd go for "elegant" and just make a "Halloween corner" so to speak.

Well, today was going well till one of my friends found my Cat logo on some pottery at a pottery faire she is at today. SIGH. As a copyrighted image they don't have the right to even make the stuff much less sell it. My friend is informing them now and asking that all pottery be removed for sale and that I will be contacting them on where to go from here. At this point they need to either turn all of it over to me or destroy it. WHY do people feel like they can do this? The one place I use my logo is on Facebook and there is a CLEAR copyright symbol on it! UGH. Hope they are at least shameful about it and this all goes smoothly. I always hand draw all of my own work just to make sure that no one can come back on me about it...why couldn't they?

Ok, enough whining. Hope you guys are having a better day!

Cat

Updated pictures of the dragon with a link to the tutorial..http://cakefixation.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-make-fire-breathing-dragon-cake.html

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 11:13pm
post #18 of 37

Cat, I just "stalked" your Facebook page...I love it and liked it! Sooo sorry about the logo pilfering!

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 12:35am
post #19 of 37

I did a Sweet Table with Cake,150  cupcakes, krispie treats dipped in white chocolate and oreo truffles and candy buffet for a 40th Anniversary event. I just love the Marvelous Mold onlays on the cake.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 1:56am
post #20 of 37

The moulds do look good.  When I first looked at the picture (and before I read) I was trying to work out if you had used them or freehanded.  Might have to buy myself a couple.

auntginn Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 4:50am
post #21 of 37

Rosie, Take a break, lol   Beautiful and a lot of work.

Batter up, I was having a hard time figuring it out as well, but after opening the link, made sense.  That is awesome and too cute.  Can't wait to see the final.

Thank you everyone, Yes I am stoked.  I've had a hard time with carving and faces, but since I've been taking the craftsy courses its made a difference.  Some are better than others, but I always say, if you learn just one thing, you've learned a wealth of information.

BatterUpCake Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 9:50am
post #22 of 37

Ginny, I am super impressed at your face cake. I can't even imagine how many hours that would take

manicgeisha Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 4:25pm
post #23 of 37

Batterup- I love the Halloween cake!   And the dragon cake, can`t wait to see it finished!

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 9:39pm
post #24 of 37

Batterup, I love your Halloween cake it is awesome. I must say I love watching how you've grown over the past months with your decorating abilities and how you keep trying and practicing. One day I will have the guts to build a structure to support a 3D cake. 

Rosie, your cake is lovely! Nice drop lines!

Here are a few things I worked on this weekend.

A baby shower cake for a dear friend in my mommy's club. The theme was "she's going to pop". Every time someone get's close to expectjng a child that's not a first born, we get together and throw a party called a "sprinkle". We don't really do gifts, just eat, drink, and laugh and bring diapers. This was the most unique shower theme I've done and I love it.

1st birthday's hold a special place in my heart because it's why I started decorating. A rainbow 1/4 sheet air-brushed cake and a coordinating but different 4" smash cake.

Finally, every now and then I get a customer who needs to stay away from food coloring. Here's a football themed organic cake I did using vegetable juices and chocolate for coloring.

BatterUpCake Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 10:14pm
post #25 of 37

Wow TD you have done a lot of cakes lately! Thank you so much for your kind words. I love the rainbow...

auntginn Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 10:43pm
post #26 of 37

tdove.  Love the cakes.  I love the idea of "Sprinkle"  I think we get to carried away sometimes with the baby showers.  So impressed with your food color free cake. too.

Here are the other 2 cakes I did for this weekend.  The Monster's Inc was for a baby shower, lol.  

This one I donated to a young lady I know from church, She was raffling off a cake to raise money to send to Mexico to help people who were stranded in the recent floods.  

Sorry it's already cut into, lol her pic looked better than mine as a whole cake.

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 1:31am
post #27 of 37

Beautiful work everyone! another great Friday forum.......:-)

manicgeisha Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 3:49am
post #28 of 37

I actually finished it on time! ...well, kind of.   I wasn't finished 1 hour after everyone came over like last week!   LOL.    It ended up very different from a somewhat similar to my first wedding cake.   It also looked AWESOME until I lifted it from the turntable.   The fondant severely crumpled and smooshed on the sides.   I have no idea why it reacted so badly to being moved.  Of course the sides were freshly painted so I couldn't do much to smooth it, other than curse at it some...and take a good look at the front and decide it was Ok.

manicgeisha Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 4:02am
post #29 of 37

tdovewings- a sprinkle is an awesome idea!    Love the smash cake.   And the colour pallette of the organic cake is really lovely.

Auntginn- Baby's 1st...in utero favourite film?  Hehe, its really adorable though :)

BatterUpCake Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 10:26am
post #30 of 37

Just decided Wicked Goodies and myself re doing a promotion to give away the black Halloween stand. That should start really soon.

I love mushroom cakes! Not sure why, I just like mushrooms! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%