White Modeling Chocolate

Sugar Work By hislilbaker89 Updated 25 Sep 2013 , 10:00pm by hislilbaker89

hislilbaker89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hislilbaker89 Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 1:18am
post #1 of 18

AI just mixed one pound of white chocolate to 1/4 cup light corn syrup. I'm going to let it sit over night wrapped in plastic wrap at room temp. I looked online just now and a woman says on a blog for u to use a half cup of corn syrup. What should I do or if I can fix it or is it fine as is...thanks

17 replies
hislilbaker89 Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 18

AUpdate some came out not greasy and a chunk came out greasy. It was so hard that I warmed it up in the microwave for a few seconds. I colored the not greasy section and I'm letting the greasy section hoping while it sits it will stop being greasy. Any suggestions. Will adding corn syrup more corn syrup help it?

Original message sent by hislilbaker89

I just mixed one pound of white chocolate to 1/4 cup light corn syrup. I'm going to let it sit over night wrapped in plastic wrap at room temp. I looked online just now and a woman says on a blog for u to use a half cup of corn syrup. What should I do or if I can fix it or is it fine as is...thanks

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 18

I use 1/3 c to a 12 oz package so 1/4 cup doesn't sound right for a pound. I would go ahead and try mixing them all together and see what you come up with. It's going to need a lot of kneading I imagine.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 18

I generally use 24 oz almond bark to 1/2 cup corn syrup.  It sounds to me like it wasn't mixed completely, but I wouldn't add more corn syrup if it's stiff enough - that will make it much softer.

This is the best way I've found to mix it:  melt the chocolate/almond bark/candy melts and mix in your corn syrup. Pour it out on waxed paper on the counter. As soon as it's cool enough to handle, knead it to get the excess oil out.  This gets rid of the oil and gets it mixed well.  It makes a mess, but it's worth it.  Then set it aside to rest and cool completely - overnight is good.

The heat from your hands will eventually make it workable, but you can put it in the microwave for a few seconds if necessary.  Some people will recommend putting it in the fridge, but I don't.  Once it's mixed you treat it just like fondant. HTH

hislilbaker89 Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 18

AI got it to get less greasy by I kept kneading it til it was like play dough consistency. Now the only time I have to worry about it being greasy is when I play with it too much.

hislilbaker89 Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 18

AIt did need a lot of kneading. It feels like taffy but doesn't stretch as much. When u mess with it so much it starts to get greasy and then I leave it alone. It feels like play dough after it gets soft. How much do u think I should use next time. This was white chocolate. I used real chocolate.

Original message sent by BatterUpCake

I use 1/3 c to a 12 oz package so 1/4 cup doesn't sound right for a pound. I would go ahead and try mixing them all together and see what you come up with. It's going to need a lot of kneading I imagine.

hislilbaker89 Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 18
BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 11:15pm
post #8 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by hislilbaker89 

This is what my chocolate looks like.

I would try 1/2 cup.

lindseyjhills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyjhills Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 11:27pm
post #9 of 18

AHi there. I make a lot of modelling chocolate as I use it for my sculpted cakes and to buy it ready made in the UK is a ridiculous price! Firstly, I use Callebaut white chocolate callets. I've never tried with candy melts (again ridiculously expensive in the UK). I also use Karo light corn syrup. I have tried to make it with glucose syrup before but just couldn't get the right texture.

I make mine in 1 kilogram batches. I agree with BatterUpCake, for every 1kg white chocolate I use 1 cup of corn syrup. 1kg is the equivalent of roughly 2 pounds. This is the recipe I got from the Lauren Kitchens video on YouTube. You can either watch her video or read on below ;)

I heat the callets in the microwave in 20 second intervals to melt them. I do this until there are a few unmelted callets left and then just stir until they are dissolved.

I then warm the corn syrup in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. The aim is that the corn syrup and chocolate are roughly the same temperature when you mix them. If the corn syrup is too cold for the chocolate it will cause it to seize more quickly before you have chance to combine it properly.

I pour the heated syrup into the chocolate and fold the mixture slowly and carefully, making sure it it gets evenly mixed. I think this is the point where most people have a problem (and where I used to go wrong). You must not beat the ingredients together or be tempted to stir quickly. You only need to fold until it is just combined. This will be just after the stage it starts to go solid. If oils (cocoa butter) start to come out you have mixed it too long. The more oil it loses, the more crumbly your chocolate will be when you come to use it. Don't discard the oil.

Once combined, I tip the modelling chocolate (also tip on any oil that has leaked) onto a large square of cling film and wrap it carefully folding each edge over, making sure there are no crinkles (it's hard to unwrap once set if there are crinkles). I then double wrap and set it aside and leave it overnight (I don't put it in the fridge).

The next day I unwrap (it should be like a brick now) and I chop the chocolate into roughly one inch by one inch squares. I put the squares in a wide low dish (so it is evenly distributed - do two batches if necessary) and then put in the microwave for 10 seconds. This softens the chocolate enough to make it workable, I then start combining the squares and kneading them together on the counter (if you have any oil that came out knead it into the chocolate). After kneading for a few minutes I find I have a firm smooth ball of modelling chocolate. I either use straight away, or I portion up and vacuum seal it to use another day.

I also make milk chocolate and dark chocolate versions of modelling chocolate but use slightly more corn syrup. For example for the dark chocolate (again Callebaut, 70%) I use one and a half cups of corn syrup per kilo. I'm guessing that depending on the brand/type of chocolate, you may need to adjust your quantities of corn syrup. As a rule of thumb it seems to be the more cocoa solids (so the less cocoa butter) the more syrup needed.

For the record, I colour my white modelling chocolate with gel paste colours all the time and it works fine. I don't need to use special chocolate colours. I'm guessing this is because you can't make modelling chocolate seize (it already has in the production).

Sorry for the essay, but I have found this works well for me after a couple of years of tearing my hair out trying to make it!

lindseyjhills Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 11:30pm
post #10 of 18

AHave just remembered that in the US 'cling film' is Saran Wrap (learnt that from the Lauren Kitchens video too!)

hislilbaker89 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 5:53am
post #11 of 18

ATy...what about milk chocolate how much corn syrup do u suggest.

Original message sent by BatterUpCake

I would try 1/2 cup.

lindseyjhills Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 8:33am
post #12 of 18

ADepending on your chocolate its a bit trial and error, as I said. But for Callebaut milk chocolate which is about 34% cocoa solid I use 1cup plus 2 tbsp of corn syrup per 1kg chocolate. (fwiw the white chocolate I use is 28%).

hislilbaker89 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 1:57pm
post #13 of 18

AThe chocolate I bought for milk chocolate doesn't have the percentage of cocoa butter listed.

Original message sent by lindseyjhills

Depending on your chocolate its a bit trial and error, as I said. But for Callebaut milk chocolate which is about 34% cocoa solid I use 1cup plus 2 tbsp of corn syrup per 1kg chocolate. (fwiw the white chocolate I use is 28%).

lindseyjhills Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 4:20pm
post #14 of 18

AI only gave the percentages to exemplify the relation between the amount of cocoa solid/butter and the amount of corn syrup you need to add. Unfortunately working out the absolute perfect amount is trial and error (it's what I had to do for milk & dark chocolate). I found that my brand of milk chocolate needs a bit more corn syrup than the white which is what you might find with yours. I only have experience working with Callebaut to make modelling chocolate so the advice I can give you is limited to that experience I'm afraid. Good luck!

lindseyjhills Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 4:25pm
post #15 of 18

A...however if you'd like to send me 6 pounds of your brand of milk chocolate for free, I'll happily do your trial and error for you and report back ;)

hislilbaker89 Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 6:40pm
post #16 of 18

ALol trial and error is in the joy of when u get it right finally. Here's a pic of my roses all by hand no tools used. I bought some fondant tools but I need to figure out what there for. My first roses. They need some work but any advice is appreciated. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3105943/width/200/height/400[/IMG][quote name="lindseyjhills" url="/t/763956/white-modeling-chocolate#post_7446504"]...however if you'd like to send me 6 pounds of your brand of milk chocolate for free, I'll happily do your trial and error for you and report back ;)[/quote]

lindseyjhills Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 12:23am
post #17 of 18

AI've only just realised there was another reply on this thread sorry! I think your roses look lovely :)

hislilbaker89 Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 10:00pm
post #18 of 18

ATy. i want to work on them more. they can be better.

Original message sent by lindseyjhills

I've only just realised there was another reply on this thread sorry! I think your roses look lovely :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%