Wilton Hidden Pillars Or Sps?

Decorating By fcakes Updated 21 Sep 2013 , 3:30pm by fcakes

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 11

I've been torn between getting either the Wilton hidden pillars or the SPS and can't decide... I am reading good things about both.

The hidden pillars would be easily available at the local craft store, but I'd have to special order SPS and pay shipping.

What would you recommend is best between the two please? Thank you for the help!!

10 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 11

Hands down, SPS. And if you have a local cake supply store (not hobby lobby or michael's but an actual cake supply store) you might check there. My little cake store carries sps...although they charge a little more for it than if you order from oasis. It probably works out to be the same with shipping! :)

dlyoung Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlyoung Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 1:08am
post #3 of 11

Is the Oasis SPS system the same as those sold at Global Sugar Art because there is quite a difference in price.  I've never used this system, only straws, and thought I should purchase the system and give it a try.

sixinarow Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 1:47am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyoung 

Is the Oasis SPS system the same as those sold at Global Sugar Art because there is quite a difference in price.  I've never used this system, only straws, and thought I should purchase the system and give it a try.

Yes, it's the same and it's a huge difference in price! If I have enough time, I order from Oasis. If I don't, I go to my cake store.

dlyoung Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 1:58am
post #5 of 11

Thanks for getting back to me.  I'll order from Oasis.  I have a four tier wedding cake next weekend.  Bottom layer is a dummy.  I wish I had ordered this a week ago!  I've seen so much about the SPS, especially from Leah, but was afraid to try it.  I don't do many cakes but this one next week needs to be near perfect!.  Fortunately, I can deliver it in two parts.  

sixinarow Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 2:24am
post #6 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlyoung 

Thanks for getting back to me.  I'll order from Oasis.  I have a four tier wedding cake next weekend.  Bottom layer is a dummy.  I wish I had ordered this a week ago!  I've seen so much about the SPS, especially from Leah, but was afraid to try it.  I don't do many cakes but this one next week needs to be near perfect!.  Fortunately, I can deliver it in two parts.  

It's a great system, you'll love it, there's a great youtube video about how to use it. I highly recommend watching it before your first time using sps. It just goes over a few details that you might not think of if you haven't used it before.  

fcakes Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 11

AThanks everyone! I'll go with SPS!

fcakes Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 11

Ok..another question! Do the Wilton pillars fit the SPS plates? If so, which Wilton pillars? The hidden pillars or the plastic dowels?

sixinarow Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcakes 

Ok..another question! Do the Wilton pillars fit the SPS plates? If so, which Wilton pillars? The hidden pillars or the plastic dowels?

No they don't, you need the sps pillars to fit into the sps plates.

dlyoung Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks.  I watched the video.  Now I understand how this works.  Why oh why didn't I use it before!!!!!!!!!!  :)

fcakes Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you sixinarow! I placed the order! Excited about using SPS finally!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%