Making Shiny Gold Pearl Beads Or Gold Fondant Bow

Decorating By pamalbake Updated 21 Sep 2013 , 1:25am by smittyditty

pamalbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamalbake Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 4

My friend would like me to make a cake similar in stye to the one attached, making the pearl beads in the shiny gold and a big bow on top- white with gold fondant stripe on each loop or gold bow as belo, but not that yellowy gold.

I am a bit challenged and will try some practice options.  I just purchased the gold glaze for painting on fondant.  Does anyone have any suggestions on the bead border?

If I need the fondant to dry before I paint, it will harden and be difficult to shape, although I could do it several days before if I have to.  But painting every bead of the bead border- not so sure it will turn out very good and certainly can't paint it once on the cake.  I know I could paint the number and leaves if used. And I guess I have to use edible gold pearls for quilting even though she would prefer buttercream of royal icing, since the cake is for 2 - 80 yr olds.  Those things are quite hard when biting into. :) 

What do you think they did in this picture? It's so shiny and perfect.

Any suggestions appreciated.  I don't think the gold luster dust would give the same effect.  I do have that too.  Will try different experiments, looking for more options.

Thanks.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 80

3 replies
smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 4

personally I hate that spray stuff

Just buy some gold petal dust and use either vodka or vanilla extract to paint it on after they dry.

There are tons of tutorials on pinterest to help you with bow and beads.

pamalbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamalbake Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 1:21am
post #3 of 4

To paint them?  Ok, I'll look. I have made many bows and bead borders, but never with gold.  

I won't use the spray stuff either.  I did once for a friend's cake, because they needed a huge gold anchor on the cake, but told them not to eat it. Nasty, but it looked great!

Thanks.

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 21 Sep 2013 , 1:25am
post #4 of 4

I find the spray stuff is overly priced, sprays way too strong and very wet. So you have puddles and its never that intense. The vodka and dust works way better. Just paint multiple layers. I think if you just put the pearls in when somewhat wet with the dust and shake them it will coat them. If you make the dragees yourself. Do it before they are too hard to take color but not so soft they will dent when shaken. I've done this with lighter colors but not sure the intensity with darker ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%