Help! Making My First 2 Tiered Cake Wit Ha Rice Krispie Treat Topper - Supports?

Decorating By SweetSinsationz Updated 20 Sep 2013 , 9:13pm by mermaidcakery

SweetSinsationz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSinsationz Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 4

Im making my first 2 tiered cake on oct 4th.

its going to be a 2 teir double layer 9" & 6" red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, covered in fondant with a 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" rice krispy treat 'iron throne' from game of thrones. its quit heavy, i'm afraid it will topple over or sink into the cake.

I've never used supports, dowels or cake boards so im unsure of what would be best to use. I was thinking 4 straws for each layer and/or 2 dowels from inside the chair to the bottom tier. anything helps. please & ty!

3 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 12:05am
post #2 of 4

if it's heavy then you should support it as if it's another tier. So build it on its own base and then put it on at the venue. You say you've never stacked a tiered cake before? You need to watch some tutorials and practice. 

it's not easy the first time. you have to make sure your cake is level and your supports are all the same height. 

check the stickies for info on the SPS. 

jen

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 4

Hi SweetSensationz! It's super exciting to be making your first tiered cake! I agree with what the last posted said - add support to the top tier as well as the bottom tier.  Mind you, I never thought rice crispie shaped pieces were that heavy, but maybe it's a particularly big topper? Either way it's better to be safe than sorry. For christening cakes/baby cakes, I make a lot of my toppers from fondant or modelling paste and these can be quite heavy, so even if it's a single tier cake, I'll add a two dowels underneath. You'll find a tutorial here on stacking tiered cakes to help: http://cakegeek.co.uk/index.php/cake-decorating-tutorials/

Good luck and have fun!

mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 4

ACake geek, your tutorial is so clear. I am also doing my first two tier next weekend( it will all be done in one place, it's for my son). I have the bubble tea straws in place of dowels and a foam board bottom base. Can you give any tips on setting the top tier on straight? Should I stack after I decorate both tiers, or put the top tier on, then ice and decorate? Buttercream, not fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%