First Wedding Cake

Decorating By crose54 Updated 7 Oct 2013 , 6:48pm by scorpio1966

crose54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crose54 Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 31

AI am truly a novice, and have been asked to do my first wedding cake. At first, no problem, I bake a lot and agreed. They brought me their picture, 4 tiers. Are you kidding me. Ok, I can do this. Lots and lots of research but truly some unanswered questions. work a full time job. I have taken off the day before the wedding to work on the cake. I plan on make the cakes the weekend before and freezing them. Cutting each tier in their respective layers and freezing at that point. The day before I plan on taking them out of the freezer and putting them into my refrigerator to thaw...

So my question is this, will cutting them before I freeze them dry them out? Next question, should I fill each layer and tier and then freeze. 1st layer, fudge filling, 2nd strawberry filling, third and 4th cream cheese filling.

I plan on crumb coating and using fondant the day of the wedding. I need to deliver by 3 in the afternoon. If I choose to decorate the day before will it be alright for one day?

And last but not least, I am putting ribbon around the bottom layer. I have been searching and searching for edible ribbon, royal blue. I have tried making it with fondant and gum paste but can't seem to get the color where it needs to be.

I know a lot of questions but this is my first and I am really stressed. I want it to be perfect. Thanks for your help.

30 replies
DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 31

AI would really rethink doing this cake. I was in business for over a year, and had been decorating cakes nonprofesionally, for almost a decade prior, before taking on a wedding cake. It's just not easy, in any way you look at it. Stress wise, it's the worst. Time wise, it's up there with carved cakes.

Wedding cakes take me from Wednesday to Saturday to complete, and that's not counting shopping time for collecting ingredients and supplies.

It will also cost you way more than you initially figure.

If you do this, if you haven't done a multitiered cake before, you need to do at least two or three trial cakes ahead of time. Way ahead of time, so you have time to find out what you did wrong and fix it each time.

And then after the final cake is made, you need to deliver it to the wedding, which is an experience all its own.

DebbyJG Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 31

AI also wouldn't ever put fondant on a cake the day of the wedding. Even if things go on quickly and on the first go (which only happens with lots of practice and even with years of experience you still get the occasional mess up) the fondant needs time to firm up before you can stack the cakes. Time you won't have if you plan on fondanting the day of.

The only edible ribbon I ever use is fondant.

crose54 Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 31

AI did tell her to make sure they knew I wasn't a professional. I am excited, but you are right about the stress level. Can't back out now, the wedding is on the 4th. This weekend is a practice weekend. Wish me luck.

crose54 Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 31

Aps... Your cake is beautiful. If I could only hope for such perfection. I am a little worried, but I promised.

RomanticMoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RomanticMoments Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 31

Dear "First",

Although I do agree with DebbieJG as to the attention and experience given to a Wedding cake, we ALL need to make our "First" one ( :   And as she stated :practice on a trial tiered cake" is a good idea

I have been making cakes in one form or another since 1976 and made my "first" Wedding cake in 1980. And as they say, "the rest is History".

First of all the actual, "STRUCTURE" of the Wedding cake is as important as the Decorations.

STRUCTURE                  

First: Support systems from the Base of the cake (Suggest Wood/if Cardboard 3 pieces thick)         

Second: ALL tiers should be placed on Cardboard "cake rounds" (wrapped with plastic wrap)

Third" Dowels are a MUST! Do Not skip them. Even though you will deliver the cake with all of the tiers separate from each other, you can put the Dowels ahead of time and not after you arrive at the Hall.

DECORATIONS

Decorations that do not "tie" the Tiers together can be done before delivery

BUT, any decorations that "tie" the Tiers together (i.e.: Cascading Flowers, Ribbons at the base of tiers) things of that nature, should be done at the Hall. So give yourself "Set up" time depending on the Design.

SET-UP

Find out ahead of time if the cake will be displayed on a Round table to be seen from all sides or a table that will be against a wall. that way you will know if your cake will be allowed to have a "back" This is important when attaching ribbons etc, and can effect the design angle as well.

As I said earlier give yourself time for set-up: call the Hall and ask what time you can come in (as you want to be certain they have the table ready for you.

Bring a LARGE Metal Spatula to aid you in putting the Tiers together,

Have Wax Paper or Parchment Paper Circles cut to the size of the smaller tier you are setting on the larger tier.to place between tiers. This will be a size guide as well as a separation help for those cutting the cake.    Take extra Icing, bag and tips to Hall with you (for any "touch ups" )

Yes, there is SO much more, but these Basics should help a bit. ( :

The best of everything to you and Don't be afraid and don't give up, you can't do your next, until you do your "First" ( :

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 31

ATake the cakes out on Thursday and decorate it on Friday. Get some pre colored blue fondant and adjust it rather than trying to mix the color from white. Make sure you have figured out internal support for the cake as this will be the thing that trips you up.

Are they friends/family? Are you being compensated for this cake? If so are you allowed to collect payment in the state/city you live in?

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 31

A@ RomanticMoments Really great advice and the best of luck to you crose54!! Post pictures when you're done :-D

crose54 Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 11:19pm
post #9 of 31

AThanks so much for all the information. I have been reading and watching you tube alot. I will absolutely let you know how this turns out. Timing is a question for me.

crose54 Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 11:20pm
post #10 of 31

AI was going to make them the weekend before and freeze them. Wasn't sure if I should cut the layers and fill them and then freeze or just wait. I am planning on starting Thursday early. Getting all the fondant on and then up very early Friday (the day of the wedding) and decorate. I will post pictures when I am done. Thanks so much.

crose54 Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 31

Aps... My daughters boyfriend's brother. No I am not getting compensated. Gifting my time and materials.

RomanticMoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RomanticMoments Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 11:23pm
post #12 of 31

Photo: Pablo and Lisa

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 3:02am
post #13 of 31

Defrost them first and then fill them. It doesn't take that long to fill and torte a cake.  Baking (prepping the pans) is what takes the longest!   After you fill them, don't forget to put a weight on top to "settle them."  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you use and SPS, they are fabulous for supporting cakes, even for the most amateur of us.  :-D 

(That would be me, and I just made a 3-tier cake)

Good luck, have fun!

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 1:45pm
post #14 of 31

Hi Crose, you will be fine - sounds like you've done your research, so stay calm and enjoy the experience, I say! As one of the posters said, the most important part is that you have your internal support structure/stacking spot on and have your travel/delivery arrangements worked out.

I'd suggest freezing the cakes whole this weekend, then taking them out of the freezer Wednesday evening and let them defrost in your fridge (make your fillings Wednesday eve also). Then cut and fill Thursday morning, leave them in the fridge for 2hrs to harden up before applying your fondant. I dowel and stack cakes straight after applying fondant all the time, without any problems. I also use royal icing between the tiers to stick the tiers together. (But I've heard lots and lots of praise for the SPS system in the US).

Best of luck with it - you'll be fine!

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 1:52pm
post #15 of 31

Forgot to mention, have a non-slip/grip mat for under your cake box so it doesn't move around the trunk when you're travelling.  Also, watch out for speed bumps/ramps anywhere along your route and avoid!

crose54 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 1:13pm
post #16 of 31

AI want to thank all of you for all of you for all your help and suggestions.

Here is one I worked on this weekend to practice:

[IMG ALT="*"]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3107230/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

just4fun26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just4fun26 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 2:03pm
post #17 of 31

AYour practice cake looks great. I'm no pro, so listen to them, I'm just a home decorator who does this for fun. Any way.... Again, your cake looks great. I think it's the lighting, but does your quilting go all the way to the top? I'm in love with your piping work on top, simple yet beautiful. The only thing I'm not a big fan of is the boarder on top. Just personal opinion. I prefer clean lines. Again, it looks great. I'm sure you'll do fine on the wedding cake.

crose54 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 2:18pm
post #18 of 31

AHi. I was piping for practice. Yes, the final did go all the way to the top. That was the first time I used the quilting tool also. The entire cake was for practice because I am doing a wedding cake for my daughters boyfriends brother...as a gift. Thanks for the compliments. I am trying.

cakealicious7 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 2:23pm
post #19 of 31

AWell done!!! The cake looks great and I'm sure you will do fine on the wedding!!

crose54 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 2:49pm
post #20 of 31

AThanks cakealicious7... I will post a picture.

crose54 Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 6:41pm
post #21 of 31

AThank you so much.

crose54 Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 5:45pm
post #22 of 31

Thank you for all your information.....  Once I have put the fondant on should I leave them on the counter until Friday morning to finish up decorations on Friday.  I am delivering the cake at 1:00 p.m. on Friday.  Not a lot of decorations pretty plain., but there is some detail work.  I do plan on stacking when I get to the hall.

I am going by your schedule.  Out of freezer on Wednesday and into the Frig., then out of the Frig to cut, crumb coat and fill on Thursday.  Then (?) back in the frig or leave out on the counter for the fondant to dry?  Then Friday we are decorating.

You have been most helpful.

Thanks again C

7189de Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7189de Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 10:37pm
post #23 of 31

Romantic Moments hit the nail on the head. I've been baking and decorating cakes for about 35 years. many wedding cakes under my belt. I just bought supplies to make a 4 tier cake close to $200.00,I to work full time in management position. This is a labor of love. Didn't see how large the tiers are 14 inch can be difficult to handle

regarding refrigeration. support is the key and transportation use the rubber back shelf ling under the cake. Leave 2 hours or more for set up just in case and full supplies for any repairs. If possible always bake 3 weeks in advance. Picture is lovely good job.

cakealicious7 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 1:26pm
post #25 of 31

AWoooow well done!!! Looks amazing, first cake and it's four tiers- you should feel proud of yourself!!

crose54 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 1:34pm
post #26 of 31

AThanks. The bride was happy which made me happy.

DebbyJG Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 4:53pm
post #27 of 31

AGreat job!

bundlesofjoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bundlesofjoy Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 5:10pm
post #28 of 31

awesome work!!

tiwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiwo Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 6:02pm
post #29 of 31

Great job! You must be on cloud 9 (I know I would) lol. So did you go with SPS system?

crose54 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 6:05pm
post #30 of 31

Yes I did.  But I did chicken out when I transported the cake.  I assembled it at the site. 

Thanks everyone...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%