3D Pricing.

Business By Doce Cake Updated 23 Sep 2013 , 5:06pm by costumeczar

Doce Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doce Cake Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 7:29am
post #1 of 11

Hi,

How much would you guys charge for a 3D scorpion cake for 50 people?

I think I'm undercharging it. Bummer!:-(

Thanks!!!

10 replies
ohsweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohsweetcakes Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 9:04am
post #2 of 11

AI normally charge per serving ($2-4+) depending on my expenses flavors and my time too. I would charge min of $150 up to $300 if it will be covered all in fondant and depending on the details. This is just me, hope it helps.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 11:38am
post #3 of 11

My 3D sculpts start at $4.50 per serving but that is for a very simple design.   It easily shoots up to $7.50+ per serving.   All depends on the design and structure needed.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 11

For 3d cakes I don't really use a per serving price, but they tend to start around $10 per serving. And price per serving is going to go up as serving size gets low like around 15 servings.

ohsweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohsweetcakes Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 11

AI've only been actually seelling cakes to the public for a lil over a year now. It's good to know that you can charge way more for a 3D cake. I think I will start today. Newbie here. Lol

Doce Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doce Cake Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 11

AThanks guys I'm a newbie and in love with what I'm doing!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 11

Well...what exactly is it going to look like? Like a funny caricature of a scorpion, or a real anatomically correct scorpion? Stinger raised in the air, or laying flat? Same basic pricing still applies as mentioned above, but when realism is a factor, and scale and proportion are crucial, take extra care to account for your time and skill.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 11

AIt definitely depends on the level of detail, internal structures alone should be factored in! As AZ mentioned. If it's something your unsure of or a new technique, it's a good idea to look into those costs, make a blueprint of sorts so you'll have a better idea when quoting a price.

I obviously don't know how you do your consultations but if I had a customer call me and ask for something like this I'd draw up a sketch and get back with them on a price (within 24-48hrs). It's better to do that then quote too low and be stuck 'giving' the cake away.

My 3d/carved cakes are priced differently and much higher, simply because they usually require more planning, time, hardware, etc.

I would time yourself and right down how long it takes you to do the planning, shopping, construction, etc. so in the future you'll have a better idea (this should be done for all your cakes) for your pricing.

CupcakeMoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeMoma Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 10:06pm
post #9 of 11

I charge $5.00 per serving for 3D cakes. They take more time and depending on the design, more cake too (so really they could get more servings out of it). although it really depends on the design and how you plan on making it. I'm doing a tire cake for 38 servings for $190.00, although if it was a tough design i have in my contract that i can charge more depending on how detailed the design is. I quote it first and let them decided if they still want it, sometimes people think its too much, but they cant buy a custom 3D cake at walmart.

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 20 Sep 2013 , 1:17pm
post #10 of 11

AThe drAgon cake I am making is $50 servings. No way would I touch that cake for $250

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 5:06pm
post #11 of 11

My 3-D cakes start at $200 for about 20-25 servings. dpeending on what kind of detailing and internal structure it's going to need, the price will go up from there, like AZ said. For even a "basic" 3-D cake I end up spending as much, if not more, time on it as I do a wedding cake, so there's no reason to charge less.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%