Pricing Of The Cake

Decorating By swakes Updated 19 Sep 2013 , 7:07pm by ohsweetcakes

swakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swakes Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 20

AI am a beginner and not sure how much to charge.... Let me know how much will this cake charge ? [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3103307/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

19 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 20

A30-40 bucks.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 20

You might want to check out this post by Jason on his bakery/business blog. http://jasonkraftblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/the-magic-pricing-formula/. It'll give you a starting point at least. Good luck!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

30-40 bucks.

Sounds about right. But is that with or without the cute ducks?

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 20

I agree with Godot and Mimi.

SBbeachyOne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBbeachyOne Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 20

Wow! In Santa Barbara that cake would be around $100 +. I am cringing at the thought of how much our wedding cake will cost.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 20

AWhen you say you're a beginner, do you mean a beginner to cakes or to the cake business?

swakes Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 2:42am
post #8 of 20

A

Original message sent by kikiandkyle

When you say you're a beginner, do you mean a beginner to cakes or to the cake business?

Cake business

swakes Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 2:44am
post #9 of 20

ACan you kindly tell me how a 4 tier cake can cost just 30-40$? And how did you calculate ? This seems unrealistic ..

swakes Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 2:52am
post #10 of 20

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

[SIZE=14px]Sounds about right. But is that with or without the cute ducks?[/SIZE]

Without the ducks

swakes Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 2:53am
post #11 of 20

A

Original message sent by Godot

30-40 bucks.

Can you kindly tell me how a 4 tier cake can cost just 30-40$? And how did you calculate ?

swakes Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 2:54am
post #12 of 20

ATh

Original message sent by letsgetcaking

You might want to check out this post by Jason on his bakery/business blog. [URL=http://jasonkraftblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/the-magic-pricing-formula/]http://jasonkraftblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/the-magic-pricing-formula/[/URL]. It'll give you a starting point at least. Good luck!

Thanks ... That did help

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 2:59am
post #13 of 20

AThey're being sarcastic. Nobody can give you a price, because they don't know what your costs are, how long it's going to take you and what the market rate is in your area.

Before taking orders, you should have a business plan in place that will include pricing, as there's absolutely no point in starting a business if you don't know whether you can even make any money selling your product.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 3:09am
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

30-40 bucks.

The next time I see a tiered cake on Craigslist or FB for $40, I am blaming you.

The only way to figure out how to price your cake properly is to add up all your expenses, not just ingredients and supplies, but also utilities and legal fees, etc. Then add on an hourly wage for yourself.

Check out the link 'letsgetcaking' posted, the rest of us telling you what we would charge isn't useful to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBbeachyOne 

Wow! In Santa Barbara that cake would be around $100 +. I am cringing at the thought of how much our wedding cake will cost.

lol, I was just in Santa Barbara for a wedding, even a basic 2 tiered cake there, made by a legal baker, will cost you a lot more than $100.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 4:50am
post #15 of 20

AThat cake would be well over $100 in my area...

$30 or $40 wouldn't even cover your cost of ingredients much less all your time you put into making the cake....by the way its a very cute cake.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 8:21am
post #16 of 20

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

[SIZE=14px]Sounds about right. But is that with or without the cute ducks?[/SIZE]

The duckies are included in the price, but ironing that gnarly, wrinkly tablecloth will cost extra.

ohsweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohsweetcakes Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 8:48am
post #17 of 20

AI charge per serving ($2-4) depending on my expenses and my working time too. I'm not sure what the pan sizes are for that cake, can't really tell. But its def a $100+ cake.

ltkittykat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ltkittykat Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 6:03pm
post #18 of 20

No way, they have to be joking, my two teirs start at $80. Good Luck! You will figure out what works best for you.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 6:27pm
post #19 of 20

To the OP, I'm sorry if I wrongly assumed you were just someone with a business trying to get people to post links to your calculator or software or blog.

I truly apologize if you're real person with a real question, but unfortunately because of  your post count and post style, it sounds a bit like someone trying to get free advertising off Cake Central.  If I was wrong, here's some helpful info: no one can possible even start to quote out a cake without your giving a number of servings, telling us what size those tiers were or at least what size you'd be making them.

ohsweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohsweetcakes Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 7:07pm
post #20 of 20

AGood point.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%