Decorating A Cake With Twigs

Decorating By spence91 Updated 18 Sep 2013 , 11:32pm by sixinarow

spence91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spence91 Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 16

anyone have suggestions on where to get twigs/branches to decorate a wedding cake with?  or should I just use real branches? I would rather find something in a floral section of a craft store.... HELP! thanks :)

15 replies
kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 16

Ahttp://www.save-on-crafts.com/search.html?keywords=twigs#/keywords=twigs&Color=brown

Not sure if you want to decorate with real or not....I googled artificial twigs a nd got several sites maybe you can find something.

niniel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niniel1 Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 16

Could you make them out of modelling chocolate? 

kazita Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 16

Ahttp://www.save-on-crafts.com/ledlights7.html

This one with lights on it would be real pretty on a cake

spence91 Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks, I found exactly what I was looking for on that site!  I also purchased a grapevine wreath at walmart(thought about taking it apart) to use. :)

kazita Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 16

AYay happy to help....HAPPY BAKING :-D

spence91 Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 16

:D;-D

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 16

AOooooh the one with the lights would look so beautiful!! Post pictures when your done!!

CakeGeekUk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGeekUk Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 16

On the subject of twigs....I've been dying to get my hands on the twigs in the pic below left for ages.  I think they are so cute with this bunting banner, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere.  The picture appeared on Pinterest ( with no source as per usual, which is extremely annoying for cakemakers) but if anybody can shed some light on it, I'd be grateful!

bunting-cake-toppers-as-featured-on-Pinterest.jpg

celiazumbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celiazumbach Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 16

ATry a florist accessories supplier.

CakeGeekUk Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 16

Already have Celia, but no joy so far!

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 9:16pm
post #12 of 16

I'm not sure how you are planning on using these in your design, and I'm sure you probably know this, but I'll post it on here just in case someone reading later doesn't think about it.

If you are thinking about sticking anything IN or ON a piece of cake that someone is going to be eating, you need to make sure it's food safe. Floral sticks, real sticks, wreaths and sticks from a craft store would not be food safe and a lot of times are covered in substances that can be harmful when ingested. If you want to put anything IN or ON your cake, use a gumpaste mold in the shape of a twig or stick so you can mold them and safely put them IN a cake. Just a friendly PSA.

Check out etsy, A Cake To Remember has great gumpaste stick molds, I just bought one a couple weeks ago. :)

HTH

CakeGeekUk Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 9:26pm
post #13 of 16

Hi Sixinarow, thanks for the heads up on the twig molds on Etsy.  Will definitely check them out.

I have to admit though I am a big fan of sometimes dressing cakes with non-edible "props", although some people argue this defies the purpose of cake decorating in the first place...... Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that if the item you want to use on a cake is non-edible/not food safe, there is the option of using a "flower pick" inserted into the cake and then inserting, for example, your twig into that. A lot of newbies aren't aware of this, so just wanted to put it out there.

(I had a few horror scenarios a few years ago where brides wanted me to insert diamante PINS into their fondant iced cakes....there was a bakery nearby who did do it....blows my mind......)

sixinarow Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 9:32pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeGeekUk 

Hi Sixinarow, thanks for the heads up on the twig molds on Etsy.  Will definitely check them out.

I have to admit though I am a big fan of sometimes dressing cakes with non-edible "props", although some people argue this defies the purpose of cake decorating in the first place...... Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that if the item you want to use on a cake is non-edible/not food safe, there is the option of using a "flower pick" inserted into the cake and then inserting, for example, your twig into that. A lot of newbies aren't aware of this, so just wanted to put it out there.

(I had a few horror scenarios a few years ago where brides wanted me to insert diamante PINS into their fondant iced cakes....there was a bakery nearby who did do it....blows my mind......)

Nothing wrong with non-edible props! I just wanted to clarify to someone who might be new (or not thinking clearly) that they couldn't just pull a stick off a tree or wreath and stick it into or on a cake! 

Here's the link to the etsy store. A fellow CC'er (and great decorator) makes the molds.  http://www.etsy.com/listing/94658828/silicone-mold-to-make-gumpaste-branches?ref=shop_home_active

:-D 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 10:50pm
post #15 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixinarow 

Nothing wrong with non-edible props! I just wanted to clarify to someone who might be new (or not thinking clearly) that they couldn't just pull a stick off a tree or wreath and stick it into or on a cake!

Here's the link to the etsy store. A fellow CC'er (and great decorator) makes the molds.  http://www.etsy.com/listing/94658828/silicone-mold-to-make-gumpaste-branches?ref=shop_home_active

:-D

Why thank you, since that is me, hahaha! I'd also add that if you're going to use a real stick, put it in a drinking straw before inserting it into the cake. that would work better than a floral pick since the straw can go all the way through the cake and would hold the stick up in a more stable manner than a floral pick would.

sixinarow Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 11:32pm
post #16 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Why thank you, since that is me, hahaha! I'd also add that if you're going to use a real stick, put it in a drinking straw before inserting it into the cake. that would work better than a floral pick since the straw can go all the way through the cake and would hold the stick up in a more stable manner than a floral pick would.

;-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%