JackiSto Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 2:22pm
post #1 of

So I have a Strawberry Shortcake themed cake to do for next Saturday... I have some opinions to ask of you guys...

I will be using a White Mix and turning it into a butter cake (I have made butter cakes from scratch before, but find the results to be inconsistent, so I think a mix is the way to go here!) and want to fill is with whipped cream but I have two problems... 

#1: I HATE whipped cream... it is yucky, and hard to work with... and you can't make it too far ahead of time, and it tends to lose it's structure... I have added gelatin, vanilla pudding... all to no avail. So I was planning on using SMBC with gelatin coated strawberries folded in... any thoughts on how to make the SMBC taste a little more like fresh whipped cream? 

#2: Using SMBC will buy me a TON of time... up to 3 days more work time... but I'm not sure about the strawberries... do you think I can push the strawberries as well... I want to get this cake stacked on wednesday... do you think that's pushing it with fresh strawberries inside???

9 replies
CakeGeekUk Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 9:06pm
post #2 of

Hi Jacki, sorry to rain on your parade, but soft fruits always make me nervous when cake decorating.  I would only risk including fresh strawberries one day ahead of serving.......sorry!!! Have you thought of using a strawberry preserve instead?

AZCouture Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 10:05pm
post #3 of

Yeah, yuck. I use chopped and pureed strawberries folded into SMBC as a filling often, but will only fill it the night before.

AZCouture Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 10:06pm
post #4 of

And it goes in the fridge every second I'm not decorating it, until it's time to soften up right before delivery.

JackiSto Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 11:43pm
post #5 of

AYeah... that's what I was thinking with the fresh strawberries... I was trying not to use preserves because I wanted it to resemble the flavor of strawberry shortcake... I have made strawberry smbc before using homemade jam, but while it was delicious, it bore no resemblance to strawberry shortcake... in this instance, I think maybe making some vanilla infused strawberry jam would give it a warmer flavor, which might make up for the lack of fresh strawberries... the decorating is more important than flavor on this one..

milkmaid42 Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 11:54pm
post #6 of

This might sound silly, but have you considered dehydrated strawberries? I used them the first time in a strawberry cake and they softened up nicely in the batter and had a good strawberry flavor. I'm not familiar with using SMBC, but perhaps they would soften up satisfactorily to carry the effect you're desiring. 

Just a thought I'd toss out.

Jan

JackiSto Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 12:05am
post #7 of

AAren't they pretty tart?

milkmaid42 Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 12:20am
post #8 of

I really didn't notice any tartness. But that was contained within the cake, itself. I would think that enrobed in a sweet frosting, it shouldn't be a problem. Like I said, it was just an idea. I have a package still in my cupboard but don't want to make up a recipe of SMBC to try it out. :)

Jan

JackiSto Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 12:22am
post #9 of

AWell, for me, it's worth a shot... lol... I might just pick some up to try!

milkmaid42 Posted 19 Sep 2013 , 1:48am

I am really interested in your opinion. Will be waiting for your next post. Sometimes something so far out really works. lol

Jan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%