Going Cake Overboard

Decorating By sammi713

sammi713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammi713 Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 1

ASo I've done one cake decorating class and now think I'm an expert and maybe doing more than I can handle, but I would like some advice.

I am planning on making 3 cakes and 72 cupcakes all from scratch and I am looking for a timeline to work with. The thing is it all has to be completed on a Thursday as we will be traveling 6 hrs on Friday to our destination. I have made a couple of cakes which I have frozen, but they taste terrible when defrosted.

The first cake I am making is a vanilla Sheet cake for my sons christening. This will probably be 11x15 in size. I want to cover it in white buttercream and decorate it with light blue buttercream. My questions are can I make the cake on the Wednesday (or earlier) to cover on the thursday? How can i store it before and after the decorating? I also have an edible photo to put on, can this be but on whilst decorating or will it change the colour of the ink. This cake won't be eaten till Saturday

The cupcakes I want to hopefully make and decorate on Thursday?? Will they last to Friday if left in cupcake boxes? I am hoping to decorate with Swiss buttercream. These will also be eaten on Saturday.

The other cake I am making is a two tier cake, 6" and 8" for my sons 1st birthday. Top layer is a rainbow sponge and 2nd layer is a chocolate mud. The rainbow sponge will be crumb coated in buttercream and the mud in ganache (or should I do ganache for both). These cakes will then be covered in fondant which I will do on thursday night. Will it still be ok to eat on Sunday?? If I make the cake on Tuesday, crumb coat on Wednesday and fondant on Thursday should that be ok while being stored in the fridge in between?? Will I need doweling for stacking or can I just place on top (with card board in between)

Thanksin advance for any advice and help. I want to try and be the baking mummy for my bubs firsts

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%