Need Help W New Job

Decorating By pieceofcake561 Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 2:53am by pieceofcake561

pieceofcake561 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake561 Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 2:38am
post #1 of 3

AHi! So I just started working at a bakery that makes everything from scratch. I am very rusty on scratch baking. I know these questions are pretty basic but I am having the hardest time finding answers online... 1) what's the deal with ounces. I know water, milk & eggs can be interchanged between weight and volume, but what about everything else?! If a recipe says 48oz of ricotta cheese do I assume weight unless its a liquid? Or is ounces always assumed to be weight if not specified otherwise? What about sugar? Would 8 ounces of sugar be measure by weight or volume? I guess my overall question is... Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to determining if a recipe is referring to weight or volume? 2) if a recipe doesn't specify what attachment to use on the kitchenaid, how do you know? Is the wisk ONLY used if it says to "whip" something (eggs, cream, etc) and the paddle is used for everything else like cheesecake, cookies, pie crust, etc?

Thanks SO much for the answers. I feel like they are such silly questions but I am tired of asking the employees at my new job for every recipe. Thanks everyone!!!!

2 replies
IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 2:50am
post #2 of 3

AIt sounds like weight measurements. I have recipes that say 8 ounces of vanilla and I know vanilla weighs like water, so I measure 1 cup in a measure cup. But generally, I will weigh most things. For everything dry, weigh! Weigh! Weigh! Do not try to convert to volume if a recipe calls for pounds/ounces/grams of something. I use my judgement on what attachment to use on the mixers. Usually, I use a paddle attachment because I'm dealing with large amounts of heavy dough or batter.

pieceofcake561 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake561 Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 2:53am
post #3 of 3

AThanks so much! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%