Ganache Too Soft.

Decorating By Newbie7 Updated 16 Sep 2013 , 11:45pm by Newbie7

Newbie7 Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 6

AI have just covered a 8" cake with milk choc ganache and left it to set overnight, however think its too soft to cover in fondant. Is their anyway to fix this if I need cake by lunchtime tomorrow! I used Cadbury Melts (Australia) for the ganache with 200g choc and 125ml pure cream 'not thickened cream) Any help appreciated as to how I can fix in short amount of time!

5 replies
AZCouture Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 6

AI'm not gonna do math and conversions for your amounts, but when I do ganache, it's by weight for everything. Grams for the chocolate, grams for the cream. Have you made it before? I usually follow the same ratio as making white chocolate ganache, because I like it a little on the stiffer side. So it would be 3 parts, maybe 2.75 parts chocolate to cream.

Newbie7 Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 6

AI have made white choc ganache and it set really hard. No, this my first milk choc ganache and it would be more like 2:1 so maybe need less cream. I know best to let rest overnight but what is earliest I can use ganache after making? Would it help to go over current ganache with a new batch, but will I have time?

AZCouture Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 6

AYep, there's your problem most likely. Milk chocolate very nearly needs to be treated like white when making ganache. I won't use it until it's set up overnight.

sweetalexjane Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 6

I use a 3:1 ratio for white and milk chocolate, 2:1 for dark chocolate.  I don't let the ganache set overnight in the bowl--I apply it to the cake once it starts to thicken to that peanut butter consistency.  Then, I let the ganached cake set over night.  This way, you are only waiting for it to set one time instead of twice.

Sorry, I don't know about applying another coat of ganache over your current ganache...maybe some experts will have an answer for you about that.  Good luck!  

Newbie7 Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 6

AThanks to you both for your quick replies! Will make another batch now and put on tonight. Fondant in the morning and decorate. Fingers crossed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%