vgcea Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 5:30pm
post #1 of

AWhich do you prefer for ganache?

6 replies
cakealicious7 Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 5:47pm
post #2 of

AI cant contribute to this thread because i've yet to try them myself, but i cant wait for the replies!!

liz at sugar Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 9:13pm
post #3 of

Can I throw Guittard in the mix?  That is my favorite.  I got samples of Callebaut from my supplier (white/milk/dark) and we all taste tested it, and didn't like it.  Many tasters thought it had a "fake" Easter candy taste. :(

I do like Ghiradelli, so I would vote for that between the two listed.

Liz

vgcea Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 9:19pm
post #4 of

AWell hopefully there will be some responses. Hehehe. I've used both. While I like the almost smokey flavor of Ghirardelli, Callebaut seems like a more stable chocolate, less likely to be finicky so there's a good chance I'll be going back to Callebaut.

Callebaut white chocolate is not good for ganache in my opinion and experience. I (and some others) had issues with it not setting firm. I took a chocolatier class not too long ago and the instructor didn't like it. We often had to add cocoa butter to improve its workability.

vgcea Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 9:24pm
post #5 of

ALiz I've heard good things about Guittard's white. I might have to consider that brand as well. I mentioned those 2 because they're the brands available at my restaurant supply store. I would have to order Guittard in 25lb packs if I order through Dawn Foods. That is a lot of chocolate.

liz at sugar Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 2:36am
post #6 of

vgcea - I have access to 3 different large restaurant supply companies, but their pricing doesn't compare to what I can get on the internet.  Not even close.  So I have been buying from chocosphere.com, and I just found Baker's Cash and Carry online, with even better pricing.  You can get sample amounts from chocosphere to try lots of different brands.

Liz

sixinarow Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 3:18am
post #7 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

vgcea - I have access to 3 different large restaurant supply companies, but their pricing doesn't compare to what I can get on the internet.  Not even close.  So I have been buying from chocosphere.com, and I just found Baker's Cash and Carry online, with even better pricing.  You can get sample amounts from chocosphere to try lots of different brands.

Liz

I haven't ordered from Chocosphere yet, but in my online price shopping, they're the best I've found. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%