Fondant Questions

Decorating By DebinD Updated 16 Sep 2013 , 6:27pm by howsweet

DebinD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebinD Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 9

AI'm using satin ice to make this cake - I've worked with marshmallow fondant but not a regular fondant - how far in advance can I work on this? How do I store it - i anticipate a few nights on this How do I move it? Am I crazy for trying this?

http://www.ladlesandjellyspoons.com/2012/02/dinosaur_birthday_party/

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3101806/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

8 replies
howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 9

I think once you get started, you'll find the shapes are rather forgiving - the skull will be the hardest. Personally, I would mix tylose into the fondant and you can pretty much make it as far in advance as you want. The further in advance you make it, the harder the pieces will be. The kids might think it's cool if they can pick up the bones and they'll stay intact.

DebinD Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 9

ATylose? I should add I'm just a mom that bakes fun cakes for my kids! Does it not go bad? When it is hard will I still be able to cut it?

DebinD Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 9

AAnd how hard is hard? I want the rock to get hard but be edible.

howsweet Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 9

I'm don't know where you live, but it's like $3 for a little jar at the cake supply store that goes a long way. I don't think it goes bad - it's a dry powder. They sell Wilton gumpaste at Walmart - that will work ok, but it's a little more expensive and not as easy to work with in my opinion.

The other thing I'd do is buy some coloring - like black, brown, maybe even a teeny bit of yellow, and dilute it with water or vodka and paint some shading and damages on the bones so they they look like they were dug up.  I'm not painter, believe me and this skull turned out fine:

howsweet Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebinD 

And how hard is hard? I want the rock to get hard but be edible.

Well, it's going to taste like marshmallow flavored cardboard either way. If you want it to taste better, you might try modeling chocolate. Note, modeling chocolate is a two step process in the sense that you have to allow a day to let it set overnight so it will be workable the next day. But it literally only takes about 10 minutes to make.

It can dry very hard with lots of time - like as hard as chalk. But with just a few days, it will probably still be soft enough to eat. If you notice it's getting too hard, you can put it in a plastic bag.

howsweet Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 9

I made fingers for a scary cake the day before and it was reported to my amazement that they were eaten - so maybe with 2t tylose to 1 lb satin ice, it's about right to make them the day before.

DebinD Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 9

AThanks so much. I still don't get what the tylose does. I was thinking about modeling chocolate, but I thought I'd stick to one new thing at a time.

howsweet Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 9

Tylose turns regular fondant into something easier to mold and shape that when dry will get to a consistency that will hold up with minimal support. The happy birthday message on the cake I posted was done on a piece of it rolled out flat and the number four, coins, and skull and bones as well. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%