Recommend A Good Online Class On Figure Modelling?

Decorating By dawnybird Updated 18 Sep 2013 , 11:39pm by dawnybird

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 14

I've decided the only way I'm going to improve on my figure modelling is to get some classes under my belt and then practice a lot. I love to make figures and find it really satisfying but I've reached the limit of what I can do with only free youtube tutorials.

Before I asked, I did search for figure modelling classes on Google, but didn't come up with anything but simple individual tutorials.

Thanks for any suggestions!

13 replies
tampabaker20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tampabaker20 Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 14

AI ended up giving up on trying to find a class on modeling online and went around to all the bakery in my area until i found a baker that was nice enough to take the time to teach me you could try that but it does sometimes take time to find one and you need to be able to have time available to learn when the baker is able to teach you

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 14

AThere are tons of books and videos on this (most of them are for clay, but it's the same concept and techniques) - but the easiest way to start is to buy some molds that you can start with. If you want to model people, buy some molds and play around with altering their features and expressions and posing them. The more you play with the molded figures, the better feel you will have for proportion, etc.

dawnybird Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 14

Thank you both for the suggestions. It's just that I seem to remember seeing people post on here from time to time that they've just finished taking a course from "so and so" on figure modelling.  I was hoping there might be online classes to buy or even dvd's. I'm not sure I could learn something like this from a book. I'm a visual person and it helps to be shown!

Anyone else have any ideas?

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 14

AThere are figure modeling classes on craftsy.com

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 14

AHave a look at craftsy. They've got 75% off a lot od classes at the moment.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 12:44am
post #7 of 14
jenbug1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbug1 Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 14

Have you checked out mycakeschool .com?   Melissa is an excellent teacher and she has several videos with figure modeling and gives detailed instructions.  I am not sure of your skill level but I think she has some really great tips and explains things so well.

caribo77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caribo77 Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 14
dawnybird Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenbug1 

Have you checked out mycakeschool .com?   Melissa is an excellent teacher and she has several videos with figure modeling and gives detailed instructions.  I am not sure of your skill level but I think she has some really great tips and explains things so well.

Yes, I have been a member of Melissa's school for almost two years. I love her tutorials. That's where I learned to do the figures I've already made, but now I'd like to make some a little more detailed.

dawnybird Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenej 

http://www.craftsy.com

Thank you, and also BrandisBaked and cupcakemaker for the advice on Craftsy classes. I've never checked into those.

trista4120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trista4120 Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 11:27pm
post #12 of 14

AHere is someone that does awesome work on sculpting fondant. Check out her tutorials... You can down load them. Lorrraine- http://www.extraicing.co.uk/free-how-tos/4532370563

dawnybird Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 11:38pm
post #13 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by caribo77 

http://www.eat-the-evidence.com/tutorials/fondant-figure-modelling-101/
Try this for good advice

Wow, this is a great link! Thank you!

dawnybird Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 11:39pm
post #14 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by trista4120 

Here is someone that does awesome work on sculpting fondant. Check out her tutorials...
You can down load them.
Lorrraine-
http://www.extraicing.co.uk/free-how-tos/4532370563

Thanks Lorraine!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%