Modelling Chocolate Mistake?

Decorating By fernbrook Updated 17 Sep 2013 , 9:50pm by fernbrook

fernbrook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fernbrook Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 8

Hello, I tried making modelling chocolate for my first time, using a recipe from MyCupcakeAddiction on youtube. I mixed it thoroughly but not too thoroughly, let it set overnight and even got to add colour. But when I went to make something with it, it would stick to my fingers and not form a perfect ball (because it would stay stuck to my fingers when I pulled it away.) Eventually it got so sticky that it was a complete layer of chocolate stuck to my hands. What did I do wrong? Why is it so sticky? How can I fix it?

7 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 8

Try putting cornstarch on your hands when you work with it.

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 8

Sometimes you get that film on your hands from melting modelling chocolate, and that makes the whole thing sticky. If you wash your hands as soon as the film develops and keep everything dusted with corn starch as you work, it's easier. Make sure not to handle modelling chocolate too much as it will melt, since it's mostly made of chocolate. More pointers here: http://www.wickedgoodies.net/2013/01/how-to-make-modeling-chocolate/

fernbrook Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedGoodies 

Sometimes you get that film on your hands from melting modelling chocolate, and that makes the whole thing sticky. If you wash your hands as soon as the film develops and keep everything dusted with corn starch as you work, it's easier. Make sure not to handle modelling chocolate too much as it will melt, since it's mostly made of chocolate. More pointers here: http://www.wickedgoodies.net/2013/01/how-to-make-modeling-chocolate/

Thank you, I've been reading your site and have taken a lot of pointers. It seems my issue might have been using too much corn syrup, as I am using melting wafers. I will try with a little less next time (the ratio I've been using is 250g (9 Ounces) of white chocolate, melted
4 tablespoons of liquid glucose (or corn syrup)
1 tablespoon of water)

I won't have access to corn starch until later today or tomorrow, is there anything else I can try tonight that I might have in my kitchen? A friend recommended vegetable shortening on my fingers and that helped a little, but ultimately the chocolate still stuck to my fingers when trying to mold.

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 8

So glad that my site is helping you! In the absence of corn starch, you can use confectioner's sugar, which is also fine and has some corn starch in it. You can also use flour, believe it or not. Go easy on both of those things though, because both can gum up if used in excess. 

fernbrook Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedGoodies 

So glad that my site is helping you! In the absence of corn starch, you can use confectioner's sugar, which is also fine and has some corn starch in it. You can also use flour, believe it or not. Go easy on both of those things though, because both can gum up if used in excess. 

I did try powdered sugar (That's the same thing right?) and it worked a lot better but it's still sticking to my fingers when I try to do more fine details. I am going to try marshmallow fondant and see how that works for what I need it for (I am trying to avoid real fondant)

jamiemck9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiemck9 Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 8

AWhat exactly are you trying to use this for?

fernbrook Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 8

Making little cupcake toppers. The marshmallow fondant has turned out to be the thing I was looking for!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%