howsweet Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 8:08pm
post #1 of

I've used Satin Ice for about 4 years. And the last six, twenty lb buckets I've gotten were too soft and a pain to use. And adding color to it has become a nightmare. A suspicious person might think they want to sell more of their more expensive pre-colored fondants. It also gets more bubbles in it than it used to and still cracks.

 

I'm sick of trying to work with this sticky goo. And I'd think it would impossible for a beginner.

 

I'm going to go back to Pettinice, it's pretty soft, but at least it doesn't separate and crack.

62 replies
howsweet Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 8:12pm
post #2 of

Vent over :grin: . I'll probably start a new thread, but if anyone knows which wholesalers carry Pettinice, I'd love to hear.

Punkilicious Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 8:57pm
post #3 of

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't do a lot of fondant covered cakes so I do not go through as many 20lbs buckets, but the last two have been horrible to work with. It is so soft and sticky, and by the time I have gotten all the air bubbles out as I roll it, the stuff is ready to start cracking!

cakesbycathy Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 9:31pm
post #4 of

I quit using SI over a year ago.  Constantly got elephant skin.  I make MMF now.  Cheaper and I like the taste much better.  ;-D

BatterUpCake Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 9:35pm
post #5 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 
 

Vent over :grin: . I'll probably start a new thread, but if anyone knows which wholesalers carry Pettinice, I'd love to hear.

 

DO you have a Restaurant Depot?

IAmPamCakes Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 9:37pm
post #6 of

AI thought it was just me lately. I opened a new bucket a couple cakes ago, and it's such a hassle! Sticky &overly stretchy. My cakes have bubbled more than ever. I thought I kept screwing up every step of the way. (Of course, I could possibly be screwing up, but this bucket is definitely different.

howsweet Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 9:38pm
post #7 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 
 

 

DO you have a Restaurant Depot?

Yes, I just signed up with them - will probably go tomorrow or Tuesday. They have Pettinice?

BatterUpCake Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 9:43pm
post #8 of

That's where i bought mine. 15lbs for $40

howsweet Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 9:47pm
post #9 of

Yay! I hope they have it here, too! That's less than I've been paying for Satin Ice and Pettinice is better fondant- at least it was then. I switched to Satin Ice because it was cheaper back then, but the price has gone up and up...

LisaNZ Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 9:49pm

APettinice, is that fondant or just icing? Sorry I'm new

BatterUpCake Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 10:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaNZ 

Pettinice, is that fondant or just icing? Sorry I'm new

 

It is fondant

BatterUpCake Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 10:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 
 

Yes, I just signed up with them - will probably go tomorrow or Tuesday. They have Pettinice?

 

Yeah I saw it there (keep wanting to say I seen but I know Shanter will get me! lol) but had never heard about it. I was using MMF and SI but wasn't really happy with either. So I loked into the Petinice..doesn't seem many on here use it. Figured I'd give it a go and I like it. I am not done trying different brands tho!

Norasmom Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 1:47am

Someone should let the manufacturer of SI know.

icer101 Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 3:44am

I too love pettinice.

icer101 Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 3:44am

I too love pettinice.

RubinaD Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 3:49am

AI was having the same problem. I sent Satin Ice an email complaining about their product about a month ago, and have yet to hear from them. I have heard good things from fondarific, so I think I will try then. I

vgcea Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 7:09am

AThe RD on Bissonnet barely has anything for the average caker. They don't even have cake flour. I'm almost certain they don't have fondant. Might want to try the other location.

hbirki01 Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 12:29pm

AI'm in Australia and my local cake shop stocks only fondarific and pettinice! I find that if you live in a humid climate like I do, fondarific may be an issue because it sweats. It tastes good because of the chocolate in it has a long work time! I learnt to use fondant using fondarific However I love pettinice and its cheaper

MustangMollie Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 2:33pm

I'm still new at this, but Pettinice is by far my favourite. I battle with Satin Ice to avoid elephant skin :( I've only used fondarific for accent colours or mixing so I can't comment on that. I just bought a 5kg bucket satin ice though ... to mix with Pettinice coloured fondant. I hope it works out ok as I'm making 3 cakes this week (one for a friend, one for my family because I need the practice, and a two or three tier for my son's 2nd birthday).

Cakespirations Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 6:46pm

has anyone heard anything concrete. Something has to be different, even if it is a small thing. I used to dread opening that bucket and trying to dig out the first bits, because it would be a brick. Now you can practically pour it out.

Sweetcakegirl Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 7:40pm

@Rubina I use Fondarific all the time.  I like the taste and how it works better than Satin Ice.  The only problem I have ever ran into with Fondarific is sometimes it sticks to my equipment.

 

I still use Satin Ice for some of the colors due to it hardening more than Fondarific.  I even tried to mix the two together and try that =)

 

There are plenty of places to get Fondarific online, but I found:  http://stovercompany.com/categories/rolled-fondant/fondarific-rolled-fondant.html  to be one of the most reasonable places to purchase from.

 

The other thing that is great about Fondarific is the two ladies that started  it.  I called them many times and spoke to Laura, and it was always a pleasure talking with them.

 

Let me know if you need any advice on using Fondarific

 

@Cakespirations What I have heard from a friend of mine, and again this is just hear say is that Satin Ice is trying to break into the food-service channel (supermarkets). They may be running into some Q&A problems due to keep costs low for buyin with their new Box pack

tdovewings Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 7:47pm

Yes, something has changed! It not what it use to be. I've inquired several times and they ask for the lot number to check it out and they always come back with some tips they have posted on their website. They keep saying they haven't changed anything, but I don't believe them. It only does an okay job if I have an old bucket of Satin Ice that has been sitting around for about 6 months. 

RubinaD Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 7:48pm

@Sweetcakegirl, thank you so much for the all your input. I really appreciate it. I will check the site out that you suggested.

 

I did finally hear from Satin Ice, nothing concrete however.  They are trying to narrow down the product batch and see if that is the issue. I am still waiting to hear back for a few days now. We will see.

howsweet Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 9:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdovewings 
 

Yes, something has changed! It not what it use to be. I've inquired several times and they ask for the lot number to check it out and they always come back with some tips they have posted on their website. They keep saying they haven't changed anything, but I don't believe them. It only does an okay job if I have an old bucket of Satin Ice that has been sitting around for about 6 months. 

I don't believe it either - I used to be really great at covering cakes super fast and perfectly smooth and now it's become a pita. When I bought a bucket of black and used it recently, it happened to perform just like the regular white fondant used to.  That's when I knew with complete certainly that it wasn't because of anything other than the fondant being different.

 

They haven't contacted me back yet, but I've never expected anything but a denial. 

 

I'm still checking out the other suppliers here. My main supplier carries Satin Ice exclusively. If I find someone who carries a fondant I like, I'll probably wind up moving all my business to them.

BatterUpCake Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 10:46pm

The black SI sucked...then right after that they marked it down on GSA

tdovewings Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 10:50pm

Funny that you say that, because I find the colored Satin Ice fondant to work quite well, even the ivory, but not white.

howsweet Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 10:54pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatterUpCake 
 

The black SI sucked...then right after that they marked it down on GSA

When was that? I bought mine about 3 weeks ago from a big supplier. This was the first time I used the black to actually cover a cake. Speaking about what really sucks, it's trying to mix black color into their awful gooey white fondant now. Or any color for that matter.

BatterUpCake Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 11:00pm

I found the black to be awful gooey. It was within the last 2 months. I got Pettinice now and I love it.

howsweet Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 11:03pm

One wonders if Satin Ice is having production problems. The timing of that coincides with when I got that really bad batch.

 

I'm still looking for a local Pettinice supplier.

BatterUpCake Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 11:14pm

Didn't you say you just signed up with restaurant depot?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%