Deli/bakery Awful Conditions

Business By dreamacres Updated 15 Sep 2013 , 5:02pm by IAmPamCakes

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 11

Please tell me it isn't so!!  I recently accepted a job in a deli/bakery at a convenience/grocery  store.  After starting I was shocked at the conditions and quit.  Did not accept offer to do the cakes.  Area to work in for cakes/bakery had no running water and was infested with mice running over pans/tools that were never washed.  Hot foods was prepared at 9am for the day and left in hot table until 7pm.  This included sandwiches,entree, etc., which if they were not sold that day I was asked to remove from bun and reuse the meat the following day.  I was asked to wash the slim from the deli meat and put back in the case.  Deli salads were never date controlled.  Just asked to keep adding new to old regardless of amount of time in case and expiration dates.  Expired meats were used for hamsalad and when the color turned brown, red food coloring was added. Dates for expiration on all items were based on dates made not taking into considered products used were expired.  Pizza dough used was so bad that when rolled out it was steaked with green mold, you guess it, company felt it was OK to serve.  PLEASE tell me that this is not how deli/bakery are normally run.  

10 replies
CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 11

Please contact the Indiana board of health/and or the department of agriculture and report this.

You can make a phone call and file a complaint and not give your name.  Thank you!

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 11

AOmg that's exactly why I am doit you self can of person...... yes call the health department

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 11

NO, that is not how an upstanding food service operation runs!  Call your local health department ASAP and give them the list you just wrote.  I doubt they will even allow them to sell any product currently in the case under those conditions.

I'm so sorry you had to experience that. :(

Liz

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 11

It has been done by someone other than myself.  Was told that current employee must call and give details and name.  Do you feel this is normal for deli/bakery business. Oh my I will never buy deli food again!!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 11

dreamacres, I am sorry to tell you that this happens at many many many food handling establishments. (I have to not think about this issue when I purchase food.) All we can do is report what we witness.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 11

This has to be way more common than people know. I worked briefly at a national chain grocery store in a high end area as the cake decorator. I thought it would be good training... it turned out to be nothing short of horrible.  My experience was similar to yours and when I tried to set up a system for dating the cake slices and cakes we put in the display,  they wouldn't have it. I was told I should be able to remember it in my head...even though I wasn't the only person putting things out.

I had to brush roaches off of cakeboards, was not allowed to wash strawberries before they went inside or onto cake. It was disgusting... I could go on.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 11

You should also call and report them, even if someone else already has.

One of our news stations here has an investigative reporter that does a "dirty dining" thing.  I'd be calling the local newspaper of television station to tell them about it also.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamacres 

...Area to work in for cakes/bakery had no running water and was infested with mice running over pans/tools that were never washed.  Hot foods was prepared at 9am for the day and left in hot table until 7pm.  This included sandwiches,entree, etc., which if they were not sold that day I was asked to remove from bun and reuse the meat the following day.  I was asked to wash the slim from the deli meat and put back in the case.  Deli salads were never date controlled.  Just asked to keep adding new to old regardless of amount of time in case and expiration dates.  Expired meats were used for hamsalad and when the color turned brown, red food coloring was added. Dates for expiration on all items were based on dates made not taking into considered products used were expired.  Pizza dough used was so bad that when rolled out it was steaked with green mold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

This has to be way more common than people know... My experience was similar to yours... I had to brush roaches off of cakeboards, was not allowed to wash strawberries before they went inside or onto cake. It was disgusting... I could go on.

I've been in the food industry for more than thirty years and have seen this in far too many businesses. My last book is a memoir and I talk about many of these incidents. In the introduction I apologized, writing "I'm sorry if this book spoils your appetite. When I purchase items in a bakery or eat in a restaurant, I often think back to what I observed in the kitchens where I worked. I have to not think about what might be happening when my food is being prepared." 

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 11

It's a wonder we're not all dead from food poisoning!  Definitely report to the board of health and ask that they do a surprise inspection.   If more people did this food would be safer.

I always like to eat at places where I can see the kitchen.  A lot of restaurants in my area have open kitchen areas.  The red food coloring thing is just NASTY  :eek:

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 5:02pm
post #11 of 11

AI frequently go through county health inspection reports online. It's public information. I called the health department on a business I worked for. I didn't agree with the cleanliness standards, and was sure the health department would agree. Two days later, an inspector showed up. Unfortunately, a wholesale business is governed by the state, retail is governed by county. So the inspector didn't/couldn't address any obvious issues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%