Help! Wired Flower Dropping Slightly

Decorating By luvmykids2bits Updated 14 Sep 2013 , 6:26pm by JWinslow

luvmykids2bits Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 5

I made this cake yesterday for pick-up in three hours.  This morning, the flower on the middle tier was drooping slightly.  The cake is buttercream and the flower is gumpaste.  It's not a super heavy flower, it's wired with two prongs coming out the back of the flower that I inserted in the cake.  What should I do to fix it so it doesn't droop?  Thanks!

Buttercream ombre cake with gumpaste flowers.

4 replies
luvmykids2bits Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 5

Anybody?

JWinslow Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 5

I don't know if I can help as I don't usually put large flowers the sides of a butter cream cake.  Assuming your prongs are scewers, maybe they aren't long enough.  I'm sorry I'm not much help. 

luvmykids2bits Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 5

Cake was picked up.  I rewired it, which mucked up the buttercream, so I made another layer of petals underneath to cover up the buttercream.  It seemed much more secure.  Crisis averted!

This just confirmed to me how much I hate working with buttercream over fondant.  Give me MMF anyday!

JWinslow Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvmykids2bits 

Cake was picked up.  I rewired it, which mucked up the buttercream, so I made another layer of petals underneath to cover up the buttercream.  It seemed much more secure.  Crisis averted!

This just confirmed to me how much I hate working with buttercream over fondant.  Give me MMF anyday!

So glad it worked out.  I hear you about using fondant!  I wish my butter cream skills were better. People with great butter cream skills always leave me in awe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%