Figures On Platform Thingy?

Decorating By kazbur Updated 14 Sep 2013 , 5:55pm by kazbur

kazbur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazbur Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 11:46am
post #1 of 8

I have no idea how to phrase this, ha! I'm doing a figure with drum kit for the top of an 8" cake... so the figure will be sitting on a stool and the drums on dyed lollipop sticks (because you'll see those)... am thinking the figure's arms will have to be stuck to the drumkit somewhere. Anyway, I figured it would be easier to make the whole decoration part ahead of time. I've only done separate figures before.

What would be the best way to assemble the top part? I thought of a round Styrofoam base - so like a 'stage' for the drum kit, because then I  can stick the lollipop sticks in and they'll be secure. I can cover the Styrofoam with fondant.

My question is, is there anything obviously likely to go wrong so far? And then how do I stick the Styrofoam to the cake once the cake is ready for decoration?

Am really looking forward to get started later today on the topper :)

Thanks!

7 replies
as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 8

Have you thought about using RKT instead of Styrofoam? That way more your stage is edible and foodsafe for sure.

kazbur Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 8

Hmm... I could, but I'm afraid it'll go off? I want to make it soon, but the cake is not for the 26th... also it'd be hard to get it smooth. Though if I made the RKT with no butter and it wasn't necessarily for eating.... And actually I could probably roll the fondant on top if it was a disk to smooth it. Any thoughts?

kazbur Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 8

Is for the 26th even... I want to make the models and assemble them on the platform so I don't have to worry about moving/breaking pieces

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 8

I don't know what the shelf life is for  RKT, but I would think pretty long. I'm pretty sure the premade store-bought ones are good for months. Maybe someone else will be able to help with that.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by as you wish 

I don't know what the shelf life is for  RKT, but I would think pretty long. I'm pretty sure the premade store-bought ones are good for months. Maybe someone else will be able to help with that.

I would think the shelf life would be indefinite. I mean, marshmallows don't go bad, neither do rice crispies; they just get stale. Of course, cover it to keep out dust and such, but I wouldn't worry about spoilage.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 8

Also, why not make the platform out of pure gum paste so it dries really hard? If it looks like a "platform" there's no need to hide it. Then you could attach the drums and the figure to it with a little melted chocolate or candy melts.

kazbur Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 5:55pm
post #8 of 8

Agum paste sounds easier than rkt...I never thought of chocolate for glue. I always think royal icing for glue and I haven't got any and don't want to make an entire batch! Good ideas, I think I'll give the gumpaste a go. I guess it would need to be thick so it isn't fragile?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%