Help With Fondant Animals On Top Of Buttercream!

Decorating By Jennacakes13 Updated 15 Sep 2013 , 10:22am by andierach

Jennacakes13 Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 6

I made a couple of fondant animals and need to put them on top of my 10 inch cake that is buttercream iced......Will they sink in the buttercream icing with just placing them up there? Or do I need to just cover the cake in fondant? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help in advance!

5 replies
dawnybird Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 6

If they're heavy enough they will sink in. Depending on their size and shape, you could put a couple drinking straws under each animal, like you would do for supporting a second tier. Or you could put a small fondant disc under each one to distribute its weight. You could always hide the disc with some buttercream "grass" if it looked bad. Just an idea.

Jennacakes13 Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks! I will try the straws. They are a little heavy, and not it needs something.

AZCouture Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 6

AOr skewers, I mount the bottoms of figurines and the like on skewers usually. I make the figurine and make a hole to set it over when it comes time to assemble the cake. Put skewer in cake thru to the drum, then set the.figurine over that, so it's not permanently stuck in the figurine, so people can save them, put them on a shelf or stored away in a box, without a big stick up their bums...or wherever. :D

Jennacakes13 Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 2:30am
post #5 of 6

Thats a neat idea......Ill try that too. Thanks!!!

andierach Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 10:22am
post #6 of 6

AI have dowelled the cake with drinking straws put down a small thin cake board and then covered it with the buttercream and them placed my figures on that. Hidden support!! but do tell who every the cake is for about the board :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%