Powdered Sugar Or Corn Starch? ??

Decorating By cakelove2105 Updated 16 Sep 2013 , 12:09am by costumeczar

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 5:07am
post #1 of 12

When working with fondant , why do some people use corn starch instead of powdered sugar so it doesn't stick to the table?  Does it have to do with "too sweet fondant" or with the fact that the sugar gives the fondant even more constancy and may become too heavy? I'm confused :/

11 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 5:53am
post #2 of 12

AI don't know of any reason..that's an interesting question. Some ppl swear by cornstarch others powdered sugar. Some even use a thin coat of shortening. It's all about your preference. I use cornstarch. There's really no particular reason I just do.

anaelisabethlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anaelisabethlee Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 10:18am
post #3 of 12

AI find cornstarch easier to work with, smaller amounts and less drying out, smoother etc. I found powdered sugar a bit grainy and always ended up with elephant skin...

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 2:38am
post #4 of 12

I find that both PS & CS dry out fondant so I roll out on a smear of shortening.  I also like that this makes for easy clean up and has the added benefit of helping the fondant naturally stick to the icing on the cake.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 4:34am
post #5 of 12

I find using PS just makes everything in the vicinity sticky. It can be humid here in summer. Cornflour makes everything drier and easier for me to deal with.

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 5:07am
post #6 of 12

I have been using corn starch because it takes a lot less and is not as messy. However, I am finding lots of little white spots embedded in the fondant, and they won't come off without using a pick which ruins the finish. What is causing that?

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 5:34am
post #7 of 12

A

Original message sent by Carrie789

I have been using corn starch because it takes a lot less and is not as messy. However, I am finding lots of little white spots embedded in the fondant, and they won't come off without using a pick which ruins the finish. What is causing that?

Is it hot or humid in your house/kitchen? Sounds like its getting moisture in it and clumping

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 7:33am
post #8 of 12

AI use a thin film of shortening.

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you all for your replies. I guess its all about preferences. :)

Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 6:44pm
post #10 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

Is it hot or humid in your house/kitchen? Sounds like its getting moisture in it and clumping

Duh! Why didn't I think of that. Thank you!!

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 15 Sep 2013 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 12

I found that using corn starch I could use less than with powdered sugar and as others have said it stopped the "elephant skin" thing. 

For those who roll out with just shortening, 1) how do you keep the fondant from sticking to the rolling pin or catching and creasing and 2) how do you smooth it once it is on your cake without out a glide free surface that powdered sugar and/or corn starch allows? Just curious as I would love to do without all that powder mess, too!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 12:09am
post #12 of 12

Powdered sugar is sugar plus cornstarch. Sugar attracts moisture to it, so if you use powdered sugar you're basically using cornstarch with something that will attract moisture. Cornstarch on its own will dry the fondant out faster and more effectively.

I use shortening to roll out gumpaste and fondant because it makes it non-sticky and also doesn't dry it out. If it gets too soft with too much shortening I'd add some cornstarch, not powdered sugar. The cornstarch will firm it up faster.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%